Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11359 Discussions

Buying advice (mini-itx network appliance)

steven0
Beginner

Hello,

I'm building a mini-itx network appliance that will have a number of subnets attached to it. In the past I've had a lot of luck with Intel Desktop boards in similar minimalist roles (NAS, etc), but having trouble finding something newer than D525/D510 for this particular role.

The reason for the need of something newer, I've got a PCI-E 4-port NIC I'd like to use for this build, but can't find an Atom board that supports PCI-E. Also, I've been quite disappointed from non-Intel motherboard manufacturers (Asrock, Biostar, etc), they all seem to fail within 1-2 years, whereas my Intel D510 and D525's are still going strong after many years of continual 24/7 use. Am wanting something I can turn on and not worry about other than OS/software updates.

Thank you,

Steven

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee
Unfortunately, Intel exited the Desktop Boards business back in 2013-2014. The last mITX boards were released in 2012. The last for Core processors was the DH77DF. The last with Atom-level processor was the DN2800MT -- and you are correct; no conventional PCIe slots were supported.
These boards are still available in small quantities on sites like Amazon, eBay and Alibaba, but that's it.
...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee
Unfortunately, Intel exited the Desktop Boards business back in 2013-2014. The last mITX boards were released in 2012. The last for Core processors was the DH77DF. The last with Atom-level processor was the DN2800MT -- and you are correct; no conventional PCIe slots were supported.
These boards are still available in small quantities on sites like Amazon, eBay and Alibaba, but that's it.
...S

View solution in original post

steven0
Beginner

Thanks for your reply and information Scott, I'll try my luck with some of the other manufacturers around. Really miss those rock-solid Intel boards right now.