Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Can BIOS be unlocked on D945GTP?

I work part-time at a local electronics shop, and the owner buys a lot of obsolete desktop pc's. Occasionally a relatively newer model comes through that is worth configuring for a casual home user. Recently one came in with an Intel D945GTP board. I am trying to build a desktop pc for a friend with this board. I have connected her old hard drive to the system which has Windows 7 installed. The BIOS is password protected and it is configured to boot first from a hard drive, then secondly from the lan connection, and no other options are enabled. I would like to get the BIOS unlocked and restored to OEM specs.

When booting normally, Intel Boot Agent GE v. 1.2.28 loads. When it does not find a connection through the lan, it will boot Windows from the hard drive.

After pressing F2 at boot up, a prompt for the password appears. I have just hit the enter key, after which the BIOS settings are displayed. However, "exit without saving" is my only option.

In the BIOS, there is a message under "Additional Information" stating "Intel Integrator Toolkit has modified this BIOS."

I am unable to make any changes to the BIOS, so I cannot set it to boot first from CDROM or USB of floppy disk.

I was able to successfully perform a BIOS restore function with a floppy disk and removal of the BIOS jumper, but it did not restore the BIOS to its original state. As best I can tell it made no changes to the BIOS.

If I try to flash the BIOS through Windows, I get an error that the task cannot be performed. I cannot flash it from a USB or floppy disk drive or CDROM because the BIOS does not look at those sources when booting.

Is there a way to restore the BIOS to OEM settings without the password?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Start by clearing the password(s). The process is documented here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005690.html Intel Desktop Boards BIOS Password Clearing.

Once the passwords are cleared, you can use F2 to get into BIOS Setup. Press F9 (followed by Y) to reset the BIOS Configuration to defaults. Press F10 (followed by Y) to then save the configuration and exit from BIOS Setup.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks very much, that worked! But I did not see the dialog window mentioned in the instructions once I booted into maintenance mode. I set the BIOS settings to default with F9 and saved changes with F10.

However, at boot up it still loads Intel Boot Agent GE v.1.2.28. I would like to remove that from the boot routine. Do you know how to do that?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The Intel Boot Agent, if enabled, will run if no other boot device is found. You can disable it in the Boot menu. The fact that it is running indicates you have not supplied a bootable device. If you are trying to run an installation CD/DVD, you must hit a key to have it proceed. If trying to use a USB device, booting from USB may not be enabled by default (I can't remember; this board is like 12 or 13 years old). You enable it from the boot menu as well.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

You are correct, I had disconnected all drives before I booted into the Maintenance menu.

If I disable boot from lan in BIOS, will that prevent Intel Boot Agent from running?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes, and you'll get a no-boot-device message instead. Hitting a key will cause the BIOS to rescan for a bootable device.

...S

0 Kudos