Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JanKok
Beginner

Can DZ68BC motherboard drive two 4K monitors?

My PC has an Intel DZ68BC motherboard and a Core i5-2500K. I want to drive two 4K monitors, or at least a 4K and a QHD monitor. I don't need high performance, I just want lots of hi-res screen real estate.

The integrated graphics can drive one 4K monitor just fine, using either the DP or HDMI output. But I can't use the HDMI and DP outputs simultaneously. The only way too get a second output is to use the DVI output, and that only supports1920x1080 or lower, as far as I can tell.

I hoped I might be able to drive one hi-res monitor with the integrated graphics, and another with an external PCIe graphics card. So I tried 3 different PCIe cards including a Radeon R5 220 which has one HDMI and one DVI output. The DVI output either doesn't work at all if the HDMI port is in use, or it works but is only low res, I don't remember which. I've tried all sorts of configurations and BIOS settings, but I haven't found a way to enable the OS (Windows 10) to see both monitors in that configuration. The BIOS can display on either integrated or external graphics, the OS can boot up on either integrated or external graphics (can be different than the BIOS port), but Windows 10 never sees the other monitor. With some BIOS settings bootup fails and gives a POST code related to a problem on the PCI bus.

What is the lowest-cost way to drive two hi-res monitors with this motherboard? Can anyone recommend a graphics card to do that? Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

In Desktop systems, the default is to disable the iGFX engine if an add-in graphics card is detected. You can change the BIOS Configuration so that the iGFX engine is always enabled. Then, both engines will run and both monitors will work at the same time and independently.
...S
JanKok
Beginner

Thanks for the fast response, @n_scott_pearson !

I have the BIOS settings set as follows:

Integrated Graphics Device: Always Enable

IGD DVMT Memory: Maximum DVMT

Primary Video Adapter: Auto

IGD Primary Video Port: Auto

The integrated graphics can drive the DVI output at 1920x1080 and simultaneously the Displayport at 4K.

But if I plug in a Radeon R5-220A-2Q card, the PC doesn't boot. It gives POST code 51 about 3-5 seconds after turning on power. I tried about 20 different configurations and BIOS settings, with and without the graphics card installed. It seems I ALWAYS get POST code 51 with the card installed, while many configurations can boot the OS successfully if the graphics card is not installed.

So is this Radeon card compatible with the motherboard? I bought the graphics card new, so I expect the card itself is OK. On the box it says "System Requirements: PCI Express based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard." I'm installing it in the top blue PCIe slot.

Last year I tried a new PNY PCI Express graphics card (I think it was Nvidia GeForce GT 710 Verto) which also didn't work, probably also POST code 51.

However several years ago I used a much older high-end graphics card with two DVI outputs and it worked fine for driving two lower-res monitors (or even three, using one of the integrated graphics outputs). I don't have that card any more.

So, any more recommendations for BIOS settings to tweak, or for a graphics card that could drive at least one 4K display, that would work with this motherboard?

Motherboard Product Name: DZ68BC

Version: AAG30742-402

BIOS Version: BCZ6810H.86A.0028.2011.1107.0958

n_scott_pearson

As a motherboard gets older, it becomes less and less compatible with the latest generations of video cards.
In some cases, the issue is that the graphics card says it is backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0, but it really isn't. If this is the case, you are going to have to try another card.
In other cases, the issue is in the UEFI compatibility. You can sometimes get around this by enabling UEFI Boot. If this doesn't work, you are going to have to try another card.
In general, I have had absolutely no luck at all with more-recent AMD cards. I have had fairly good luck with NVIDIA cards, however. I have a GTX 750 ti card that I use in my DZ68ZV board.

As for 4K support, I have GTX 1050 and GTX 1060 cards that I use, with 4K monitors, in my DZ87KLT-75K systems. I have not tried using them in the DZ68ZV system, however. I will endeavor to try this this evening...
Hope this helps,
...S

n_scott_pearson

Well, it took me an extra day to get to it (sorry, got busy with other things), but I ran the tests. First of all, I did a quick check and found that the existing MSI GTX 750 ti card that I have in the ZV system *will* support a 4K monitor just fine. After the swap with my KL system, I found that the ZV will work just fine with my Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 board - and that includes with a 4K monitor.

Hope this helps,

...S

JanKok
Beginner

Thanks, @n_scott_pearson, for testing the Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 board. I'll buy one of those if I can't get another graphics board to work.

I'd prefer a fanless board. Someone recommended an ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP) ATI Radeon HD 5450 so I got one from eBay for $19. According to the specs it's supposed to work at 2560x1600, but the max I've been able to get from it is 1920x1080 (using the HDMI output). Also, when I enabled both integrated and external graphics, Windows 10 booted, and I could move the mouse cursor across both screens, but the screens were otherwise completely black. Weird, I've never seen anything like that before!

Is there any chance of getting this Radeon board to work at QHD and work with the integrated graphics? Or should I just get a GT 1030 board? Are there any fanless ones that would drive at least a QHD monitor?

n_scott_pearson

Actually, Gigabyte offers essentially the same card in fanless form. Here is link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072HRD3CY.

...S

JanKok
Beginner

Thanks again, @n_scott_pearson, . After a LOT of fiddling, I finally got the Radeon HD 5450 to work together with the integrated graphics to drive two hi-res displays. Some of the obstacles I encountered were:

- The HDMI output only goes to about 1920x1080. The best resolution comes the DVI output. According to the specs, the maximum DVI resolution is 2560x1600, but I found that Windows automatically drives my 4K monitor at 30Hz as the recommended resolution, when using a DVI to DVI cable between the card and the monitor.

- My onn 100008764 DVI to HDMI adapter seems to limit the resolution to 1920x1080.

- If I tell the BIOS to use the PCIe card as the primary display, Windows can boot up and use the PCIe card. But attempting to use the integrated graphics always seems to result in black screens when Windows finishes booting and is ready to display the login screen. I have to force power down.

I've ended up with the Radeon HD 5450 driving a 4K display at 30Hz through a DVI cable, and the integrated graphics driving a QHD monitor at 60Hz through Displayport. The BIOS is set to use the integrated graphics as the primary display.

It works! I'm happy (except that it took waaaaay too long to get it to work).