Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AJanu
Beginner

Can I connect three monitors to PC with Intel Knoll Creek DH77KC motherboard?

Can I connect three monitors to PC with Intel Knoll Creek DH77KC motherboard? It has 1 HDMI, 1 Display Port and 1 DVI-I output (integrated video adapter - Intel HD Graphics 4000).

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

If you are using a 3rd generation Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processor, 3 monitors are supported.

If you are using a 2nd generation Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processor, only 2 monitors are supported.

...S

Miguel_C_Intel1
Employee

Hi Adam_Jan,

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Mike C
AJanu
Beginner

Hi,

My PC is with QuadCore Intel Core i7-3770 CPU. Operating System - Windows 8.1. Also I have 2 monitors - BenQ GL2250 and 1 monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 204B.

I want to connect these 3 monitors as extended display (using HDMI-HDMI, Display Port-VGA and DVI-DVI cables). Intel HD Graphics Control Panel allows only choose 2 of the 3 monitors. Windows detects my 3d monitor, but when I try to choose it as extend display it shows message "The display settings could not be saved....". I attach few screenshots.

P.S. I try to connect also other monitor and try with other cable connection order.

Thanks,

Adam

n_scott_pearson

Hhmmm, my response was specific to the capabilities of the processor generations. I had also verified this in the datasheet for the 7 Series Chipset family PCH.

After reading your response, I looked at the TPS for the board and found the following note:

If using a processor with integrated graphics, the board will support only two of the integrated graphics interfaces simultaneously: DisplayPort, DVI-I, HDMI. Also, during the Power On Self Test (POST), the board will not output to the DisplayPort if DVI-I or HDMI is used at the same time as the DisplayPort.

Not understanding why this limitation existed, I went back and looked more closely at the PCH datasheet, I found a table that indicates that, for three simultaneous displays, two of them have to be DisplayPort. Since this board has only a single DisplayPort interface, however, it is not able to support three displays - at least not using the three connectors that are provided...

I know that there is a cost involved, but remember that other possibilities exist: (1) Add a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter (found one under US$55: http://smile.amazon.com/StarTech-com-External-Monitor-Adapter-USB32HDES/dp/B00H91BQ7Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=e... Amazon.com). (2) Add a PCIe graphics card (under US$25: http://smile.amazon.com/EVGA-512-P3-1300-LR-GeForce-Express-Graphics/dp/B004BQKQ8A/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&i... Amazon.com).

Sorry I didn't have a better answer...

...Scott

P.S. Another thought: I know that the NUC products can support multiple (up to 3) DisplayPort monitors, in a daisy chain, connected to the single DisplayPort interface provided. I do not know if this capability was supported in the 3rd Generation processor and/or 7 Series chipset PCH, but it may be worth checking into...

n_scott_pearson

AJanu
Beginner

Thanks for help. I will try to connect it with USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter.