Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TSper
Beginner

Can I install Windows 10 on my Windows 7 desktop

I have a Windows 7 SP1 with Internet Explorer 11 desktop with an Intel DG33FB x64 motherboard with 2GB of memory. What do I need to do to install Windows 10​

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Well, you have a 12 year old board:

https://ark.intel.com/products/50377/Intel-Desktop-Board-DG33FB

Can you install W10 on this board? Maybe. But, with only 2GB memory, you must be talking about W7 sp1 32-bit, right? This means you are talking about installing W10 32-bit.

Personally, I do not see the point. But, if you must, you need a key. Now, it is possible your W7 key will work. If not, you need a W10 key. And, you need to pay attention to the version: W7 Pro to W10 Pro, W7 home to W10 home, etc., if you plan on upgrading. A fresh install and you can do what you want. Just make sure you backup your data before attempting any of this.

You can go here to create the media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Beyond that, there is nothing here to help you. You need the media from Microsoft, and a valid W7 key or a purchased W10 key from Microsoft.

Now, let us say you are successful. You will likely want to add or increase your memory. And, your video solution will only be PCIe x16 2.0, and likely not supported by the video card manufacturer, which means you may be using a generic Microsoft driver. And, your processor will be inadequate. None of your hardware is supported on W10, and there is no support for your hardware from Intel. And, Microsoft can pull the plug on your platform at any time.

So, why go through the trouble? Spend your time and money on a newer, supported platform. Just an opinion.

Doc

TSper
Beginner

No, I have Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) and I would like to install Windows 10 Home Premium if they have it. I want to purchase it outright and do a clean install not an upgrade. Also would like to replace Office as I am running Office 2007 (which works fine for me).

From what I am reading I need at least 4GB of Memory and not 2GB like I have so I need to add memory. That is what I am asking. Can I add memory to my motherboard?

You ask why I want to do this. I need to something eventually as Microsoft will stop support of Windows 7 next Jan.

I don’t understand where you get “And, your video solution will only be PCIe x16 2.0, and likely not supported by the video card manufacturer, which means you may be using a generic Microsoft driver. And, your processor will be inadequate. None of your hardware is supported on W10, and there is no support for your hardware from Intel. And, Microsoft can pull the plug on your platform at any time.”

None of what hardware is supported on Windows 10?

Are you telling me that Windows 10 can’t be installed using an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4500@ 2.20 GHz processor

Microsoft lists the Windows 10 minimum hardware requirements as:

• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC.”
  •  
  • I had this computer built and I like it. I am going to keep it.
  • I am attaching a screen shot of the report on my system, as I don't see anyway to attach more than one page of a file to this reply.
  • Intel 1.JPG

Intel 2.JPG Intel 3.JPG Intel 4.JPG

TSper
Beginner

TSper
Beginner

AlHill
Super User

I gave you all the information you need. The very first link will tell you all about your motherboard, max memory, etc.

If you want to do this project, you are on your own. None, repeat, none of your hardware (motherboard, processor) is supported on Windows 10.

Doc

TSper
Beginner

​OK. Thanks for your help. I am all set.