Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Can I move a RAID5 drive from one port to another?

Hi everyone,

I have had some recent problems with port 1 in a RAID5 made of 3X1Tb seagates placed on Port 0 to 2. It is connected to an on board controller. Although the console reports the disk as being faulty, this the 2nd on the same port in a short while. Before and for 18 months the system was working flawlessly! So I was thinking of moving the HD to another port to see if it solves the problems. so I have several questions that no forums seemed to have answered:

1. Do I have to keep the HD's in the same order in the new ports (e.g. port 0->0, port 1->2 and 2->3)?
  2. Or else can I simply move port 1 to port 3 (thus making HDD1 -> HDD2 in the array)?
  3. Would the safest be to move all from port 0-2 to Port 3-5, keeping the same order?

Thank you for your advice. I do not want to kill all my data (even the best back-up never restores it all).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello,

In order to provide accurate troubleshooting recommendations please let us know the model number for your Intel(R) motherboard.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Dan,

actually I may be on the wrong thread but could not find any other.

I am using an Intel Driver (ICHR8R -> ICHR10R/DO/ PCH SATA RAID version 8.9.0.1023), but the M/B is a Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 (rev 1.0). Processor is an Intel i7 though.

Thanks

JLV

idata
Community Manager

Yes you are able to move RAID on different ports that are Intel ports with some M/B BIOS you need to set like "SATA Port0-3 Native Mode" to enable.

It is only important for the drives to be in order should the RAID fail (not degraded as this is recoverable by RST) in that software many recover a failed RAID if possible.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Vaillant,

If the RAID array was created with the same RAID controller, yes it can be moved otherwise it will not recognize the array.