Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Can I use 4 DIMMs of Ram for DX58SO board?

Hello,

I have been using Intel DX58SO mother board for nearly 10 years with 3x4GB DIMMs of ram as this mother board manual suggested to use only the blue coloured 3 slots leaving the 4th black slot empty for best performance. That makes it 12 GB of memory. But the manual also states maximum RAM supported for this board is 16GB. In recent times my music production projects are getting 12GB filled up with few projects and I am unable to think how to increase my RAM. 8 GB DIMMs are too expensive to buy 3 of them to replae old 4GB dimms. Even then 3x8GB would be 24 GB and one 8 GB DIMM would be useless too.

Can I install one more 4 GB DIMM in the black slot? what will happen? Or replace one 4GB dimm with new 8 GB dimm would work fine? Or just buy 2 8GB and throw all old 3 4gb dimms? Did anyone tried and can share your experience and advice?

Would be thankful if anyone can respond asap.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello anilnc,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

What is your processor model? I'm asking because this also depends if your processor supports more memory.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Ivan

Sorry I should have mentioned that, I forgot. I'm using Intel i7-920 2.67Ghz.

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Anil,

• Your processor is capable of supporting only 1, 2 & 4 GB DIMMs (to a maximum of 16GB); it cannot support 8GB DIMMs.
  • For optimal memory access performance, use three identical DIMMs in the (blue) Channel A DIMM0, Channel B and Channel C sockets.
  • If you add a DIMM in the (black) Channel A DIMM 1 socket, it must be identical to the DIMM in the (blue) Channel A DIMM 0 socket.
  • By 'identical', I mean same size, same voltage, same weight state configuration, etc. Optimally, you have purchased the four DIMMs as two matched-pairs (i.e. they are identical and have been tested together).
  • Adding a DIMM in the (black) Channel A DIMM 1 socket will indeed reduce memory access performance. In my opinion, the improvements in overall O/S performance as a result of having 16GB (instead of 12GB) of memory should easily offset the reduced memory access performance. I thus consider this upgrade to be a net win.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Thanks a lot for quick response. Should I switch any feature on/off in bios something like xmp or qpi, (not remembering exact terms) to turn off triple channel configuration?

By reducing memory access performance, will it mean that audio or video production applications will be affected in performance? Loading and uploading virtual instruments, audio buffering, etc will be coming slower? Which might result in playback hiccups or buffering issues?

Regards,

Anil

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No, no changes in BIOS configuration are necessary.

No, I don't think this will affect performance at that level.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Thanks again.

But at the moment I have Corsair Vengeance 3 ram dimms each 4 gb and 1600 mhz. So buying one more identical will be fine or will it damage my cpu or mother board? The voltage is 1.5.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No, provided you can find one with identical specs. If you can't, you might have to purchase two that match and replace the one in Channel A...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

I didn't understand. You mean I must not put 1600 mhz which is identical to others?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Just because two DIMMs are both 1600 MHz does not mean they are the same. You need to match the timings (wait-states, etc.), etc.

The two DIMMs that will share Channel A *must* be a marched pair. That is, use two of your existing three DIMMs for this channel and use the new DIMM in one of the other channels.

Hope this explains it,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have a similar thing.

Can you please regard the post I've just opened?

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Desktop-Boards/DX58SO-4GB-RAM-DIMMs-make-the-system-beep-and-re...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

with a similar kind of problem and I hope he also give way because I really can't get out of the story I find on the website. I have the same motherboard and 2x 4GB Module from Corsair 1600.

if I put one in it recognizes only as 2 gigabytes and as soon as I add the second one it starts beeping 3 times while I understood that 4 gigabytes 1600 are compatibles.

I really hope you can help me because projects are standing still at the moment

my couches are huge

skip

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

You should start a new thread for your issue.

Highlighted

First of all, these are 2GB modules, not 4GB.

Secondly, these are 1.65V DIMMs. The DIMMs for this board are required to be 1.5V.

I also could not locate any low-level specs for these DIMMs. I was unable to determine ranking or organization (best if 1Rx8, cannot be 2Rx16).

Bottom line, get different memory.

...S

0 Kudos