Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11359 Discussions

Cannot create RAID volume with system disk

BHogg
Beginner

I have the DH87RL board with RAID set in BIOS, and Windows 8 installed.

I want to create a RAID volume 0 with my Windows system disk and an drive which is currently unused.

In the Rapid Storage Technology software, when I click to create a volume, and then choose RAID 0, the disk on which Windows is installed does not appear in my list of drives and therefore won't allow me to create a RAID volume with it. All other drives do appear in the list.

According to the directions that I have been reading in help screens, it seems that I am supposed to be able to create a RAID with a system disk and that the software is supposed to be able to preserve the data.

I would have liked to create the RAID before installing the OS but that wasn't an option with this motherboard (Ctrl + I doesn't work, and no options anywhere outside the OS to create a RAID). Intel's instructions on the website states to install Windows and then use Rapid Storage Technology to create RAID volumes.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

It is totally expected not being able to set up a RAID 0 on Windows, since it is not possible to split the hard drive where the OS was installed. You will be able to set up a RAID 1.

In order to access to the RAID interface (Ctrl + I), you would need to set the SATA mode on RAID before and also all hard drives need to be connected to the motherboard.

Before trying to access the Ctrl + I menu, please check on BIOS if all hard drivers are being recognized.

Which is the current BIOS version of your motherboard?