Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Cannot update BIOS on DH77EB board

After carefully reading previous posts, I tried to update my BIOS from 053 to 103, because I was planning to buy a graphics card for my trusted old PC. I followed all recommendations (proper formatting, USB ejections, proper removal of the jumper, etc), however, none of this seems to work.

I do not get the progress report screen when turning on the PC with the USB drive containing the BIO file, so I just wait 15-20 minutes and the reboot. This just doesn't work, I put the jumper back on and my BIOS it's just stuck in 053.

What could be the reason this happens? Is there any way to fix it?

I was pretty excited to put a cheap GTX 1070 in this PC, but I can't do it if the BIOS won't update.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

To help you better, here are my step-by-step instructions for BIOS Recovery:

1. NOTE: Read these instructions completely before starting. Follow all instructions EXACTLY.
  2. On some other Windows-based PC, make sure that you have the .BIO file for the BIOS release you wish to install.
  3. Insert a 32GB or smaller USB 2.0 flash drive into the PC. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives.
  4. Format this USB flash drive using the Windows Format applet. Select to install the FAT32 file system (NOT vFAT, NOT exFAT; FAT32 only). You must also specify that the Quick Format option be Disabled (unchecked).
  5. NOTE: If FAT32 is not offered as a choice by the Format applet, your USB flash drive is too big; use a smaller one.
  6. Copy the .BIO file into the root folder of this USB flash drive. This should be the only .BIO file in the root folder of the USB flash drive.
  7. Properly eject the USB flash drive. Do not just yank it out. Do this from File Explorer or using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media System Tray applet.
  8. Power off the Desktop Board system.
  9. Remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board. It will be the only yellow jumper; the rest will usually be black.
  10. NOTE: Remember the pins that this jumper was plugged onto; you will need this information later.
  11. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Do not use blue or yellow USB 3.0 port. Do not use any front panel USB ports.
  12. Power on the system.
  13. The BIOS Recovery process should start automatically. You should see a progress report on your main monitor.
  14. NOTE: If you do not see a progress report displayed on a monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15 minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete, just in case. If you power off while the recovery is in progress, you will likely and permanently brick your board.
  15. When the BIOS Recovery process is complete, you will be asked on screen to power off the system. Only when you see this message should you do so.
  16. Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the pins it was on previously. This should be across pins 1 and 2 of this (three pin) header.
  17. Remove the USB flash drive from the back panel of the board.
  18. Power on the board.
  19. Immediately begin pressing the F2 key, over and over (approx. once per second) until you see the BIOS Setup (or Visual BIOS) screen displayed.
  20. Verify, using the BIOS version string, that the BIOS installed properly. Stop if it isn't.
  21. Press the F9 key (followed by the Y key) to reset of the BIOS configuration.
  22. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  23. Once screen is cleared (goes black), begin pressing the F2 key, over and over, until you see the BIOS Setup screen displayed.
  24. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration that you desire (for example, disabling NUMLOCK) or that you require (for example, setting Boot Order, enabling UEFI, etc.).
  25. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  26. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

What is the bios string?  Look in the bios and provide the entire string, not just 0053.

Are you using the lower left usb port on the rear of the board?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude, I thought you were from Intel. The full version number I get from Intel Driver Support is EBH7710H.86A.0053.2012.0213.1543 as seen in the photo.

I'm fine with the MOBO not being able to update (it works fine for everything else), but if there's something that can be done so I can put a new GPU in it, I'm happy to try.

mobo.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Also, I tried several back USB ports, including the most rear left one, as well as 2 different USB drives and... nothing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Here are the release notes for your 2012 board:

https://web.archive.org/web/20191120145954/https://downloadmirror.intel.com/24426/eng/EB_0103_Releas...

I have attached the latest bios file for you.

Here is information on your board:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/59505/intel-desktop-board-dh77eb.html

When you attempted to go from 0053 to 0103, did you:

Format the usb stick as fat32 on a windows machine (not linux or mac)?

Is the stick 8GB or greater?

Did you use the lower left usb port on the back of the board?

With the power off, did you insert the stick, with the jumper removed, and power on your machine?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Also note that the usb stick should be USB 2.0, not 3.0.

If the recovery method works, power off, replace the jumper, and power on.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks! I had already found the .BIO file and release notes.

- I tried 2 different USB 2.0 sticks, one 4GB and one 8GB (both properly formatted and ejected).

- I used the left lower port at least twice, as well as other back ports. I tried this probably 10 times yesterday.

- Yes, inserted the stick after unplugging the computer and removing the jumper from board.

Basically I followed all the steps in n_scott_pearson's recommendations, but it didn't work, I never got the BIOS recovery process screen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Ok, have you tried just using the F7 method?

You may also want to disconnect power from your board, remove the battery, and wait 30 minutes or so, then try again.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Also, from where did you get the 0103.bio file?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I tried removing the CMOS battery as suggested, but it didn't make a difference.

I have not tried using the F7 method, but from what I read this is not advised when jumping from a really old BIOS release to a much newer one. And in this case I can't afford to screw up the BIOS since I know for sure the recovery method doesn't work.

Have you seen any successful attempts to update using the F7 method when skipping several BIOS releases?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I got the .BIO from one of these forums, in post where someone had updated successfully.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Yes, I have seen, and have been successful myself, at jumping from an older bios to the latest.

Looking at the release notes, I did not see any dependencies, but I will check again.  There have been 12 bios releases for your board.  I will try to get 0062.  If you cannot go from 0053 to 0062, we have a problem.

And, what is your processor model number?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Do you personally know of any successful updates from 0062 to 0103? Is there a confirmed dependency added in 0062?

I really didn't try going from 0053 to 0103 using the F7 method because the last thing I want to do is brick the board, if there's no risk of that I can try.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

No, but starting with 0062, if you have to do them incrementally, is a good start.

Here is all I could find:

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Alright, definitely worth a shot. Thanks! I'll let you know if it works

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Also, let me know your processor model number.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

My processor is an Intel I7 3770k. I just tried updating to 0062 using the F7 method and the flash update failed.

update failed.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

So, you are back on 0053?

i7-3779K?  I am wondering if this processor was supported on 0053.  If not, it should not be running at all.  Do you happen to have a 2nd gen processor?

Also, maybe we can get @n_scott_pearson to take a look at this.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Yes, back to 0053 just like nothing happened.

I don't have any other CPUs at hand, but from what I've seen this board was designed for 2nd and 3rd support from the get go.

0 Kudos