Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZPott
Beginner

Cant update board, told it was a "sample" board?

I've been trying to update my motherboard for a couple weeks now, the current version won't allow a 980ti to be used with it. after about two weeks, I contacted intel support and was told it was a "sample." Is there anything I could try or do?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

More information please. What board, processor, BIOS, etc.?

ZPott
Beginner

Sorry, its a dz77ga-70k with an i7-3770k. I believe the BIOS v is 32 or 35, system32 says 86a.3254. Anything else?

n_scott_pearson

What is the complete BIOS string? Also, I would like to know the board's revision string. It is provided on a sticker that provides both the board's serial number and this revision string. The revision is of form AAX# -# , where 'X' is a letter and '# ' is a numeric digit (example AAG12345-201). Better yet, go into BIOS Setup and select Additional System Information. Provide all of the information in the resulting scene (leave out any serial numbers and MAC addresses; no one needs to know those except you).

Some input on what happened when you tried to perform the BIOS update would help as well...

...S

ZPott
Beginner

BIOS Version/DateIntel Corp. GAZ7710H.86A.3254.R11.1204111035, 4/11/2012

G39009-302

When trying to update via F7 I get a error of something like "missing byte data".

When I shutdown I'll get you that other info.

n_scott_pearson

You should attempt to update to the latest BIOS via the recovery method. Here's the process:

1. Download GA0066.BIO file and place it onto a freshly formatted USB 2.0 flash drive. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drive. Again, reformat the drive; FAT32 is best.
  2. Shutdown and power off system completely.
  3. Plug USB 2.0 flash drive into a USB 2.0 port on the back panel of the board. Do not plug into USB 3.0 port.
  4. Remove BIOS configuration jumper from board.
  5. Power on system.

At this point, you should see BIOS progress through the update process onscreen...

Let me know how it goes...

...S

ZPott
Beginner

The board gives me a post code and 3 beeps when I remove the jumper, I think its code 34 or 74, I don't quite remember.

IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello Fragglehaggle,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

I suggest clearing the CMOS first before trying the BIOS recovery again.

1. Turn off the PC
  2. Turn off all peripheral devices connected to the computer.
  3. Disconnect the computer power cord from the AC power source (wall outlet or power adapter).
  4. Remove the computer cover.
  5. Find the battery on the board.
  6. With a medium flat-bladed screwdriver, gently pry the battery free from its connector.
  7. Leave the system like that for one hour and then put the battery back on, turn on the system and try the BIOS recovery again.

I hope this can help you.

Best wishes,

Ivan

ZPott
Beginner

This does nothing to help, same problems. Sorry Ivan

n_scott_pearson

Ah, I see the issue...

The id for your (preproduction) BIOS is GAZ7710H whereas the id for the current (production) BIOS is GAZ7711H. As the carnies (showies, for those down under) would say, "Close, but no cigar."

You are not going to be able to update this BIOS using any of the conventional means. Only Intel factory techs has the tools to bypass this protection - and I rather doubt that they will help you. Preproduction (sample) boards were provided to press and customers, free of charge, in order for them to evaluate the board ahead of its (production) release. They were often accompanied by a preproduction (engineering sample) processor as well. While Intel did not require that these boards be returned once the evaluation period was over, they explicitly stated that the boards could not be sold and would not be supported outside of this evaluation period.

Sorry,

...S