Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11358 Discussions

Central Reporting for Firmware Versions

FionaC
Beginner

So today I deployed a firmware update on all my machines. I could not find a way to report on what versions they had centrally. I had to run MEInfoWin64.exe on every machine, saving the output to C:\...is there a better way to centrally detect and report on firmware versions. The drivers is not an issue...I can do that easily through Windows...however, the firmware isn't reported through Windows without running MEInfoWin64.exe. Am I missing something here. It is a pain to execute this and then have to grab the file from the C:\of each machine to confirm the firmware update actually installed. Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You can get the BIOS Version string using depreciated command "wmic BIOS GET SMBIOSBIOSVersion" or using PowerShell command "Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Bios | Format-List -Property SMBIOSBIOSVersion". The output of these two commands looks something like:

PS C:\Users\nscot> wmic BIOS GET SMBIOSBIOSVersion
SMBIOSBIOSVersion
KLZ8711D.86A.0459.2018.1101.1412

PS C:\Users\nscot> Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Bios | Format-List -Property SMBIOSBIOSVersion

SMBIOSBIOSVersion : KLZ8711D.86A.0459.2018.1101.1412

PS C:\Users\nscot>

There are parameters for both commands that will allow the queries to be done against remote machines.

Hope this helps,

...S

FionaC
Beginner

Thanks Scott. It is not the BIOS version I need to pull, it is the firmware version for the Intel Management Engine Firmware.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

In most cases, the ME firmware updates are being installed as part of the installation of a new BIOS. Having a specific BIOS release can thus imply the ME version. Are you getting the ME updates independently? If so, then yes, you are going to be stuck querying the ME itself.

...S