cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MMart43
Beginner

Change the "Hard Drive Write Cache Enabled" setting on DP35SP

Hi all

I've recently replaced a failed drive in a Mirror volume for a friend on DP35DP board. Rebuild was fine, but when I compare the two disks, first has the "Hard Drive Write Cache Enabled" setting as YES, the other disk has NO.

The disks are the same, Seagate ST3500320NS drives, except the first (replaced) drive has a firmware SN06 and the other SN05, so initially I am thinking this is the problem. I would imagine it is better to have both drives setting the same. The volume cache has been turned off so I guess I am safe.

I cant find a setting in the Martix Storage Console 7.8 on Windows Server 2003 to change the setting. Maybe it has to be changed at BIOS level? Maybe it cant be changed manually and it's the firmware? I just don't know. I plan on upgrading the original disk's firmware to match but don't want to yet if there is a setting I can change.

Hope you can advise!

Marty

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Hugga,

Sorry to hear you are having problems but let me help you with that.

Since you are using a Mirror volume (raid 1) the easiest way to fix it I would say is to access CTRL-I and set the drives to Non Raid Member disks. By doing this you will get a notification saying that you will lose all the information but this does not happen with RAID 1.

So you can set to non raid and then boot the drives and once you are using the Operating System you can re create the RAID with the software.

Try doing this and let me know.

MMart43
Beginner

Thanks Kevin

I'm not sure I understand how breaking the mirror changes the "Hard Drive Write Cache Enabled" setting. Are you saying it's not a user adjustable setting? What determines if the setting is or or off? I would imagine if automatically set, the drive's capabilities determine the setting, and the different drive firmware might explain the different setting.

I'm looking to replace the machine in a few months anyway, do you think I should be worried that the settings are different in the same volume?

Marty

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Hugga,

This should not affect at all the performance on the volume. This can be a feature that activates with the latest firmware for the device but to confirm again this should not affect your system.

MMart43
Beginner

Thanks Kevin, I think you are probably right about it being a firmware or drive-dependent setting. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a setting I was missing!@