cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Chipset heatsink adhesive tape

Jump to solution

Intel uses double-sided tape under chipset heat sinks. Is that tape available on the open market? Is all of that tape pretty much the same?

I ask because I am working on a system where the heat sink was removed (don't ask). I tried thermal compound, but the temperatures were maybe ten degrees higher than on a comparable system. I saw similar stuff for sale at Newegg and Amazon Marketplace.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Are you talking about a NUC product? The heights of the SOC and other components that also need to be cooled by the heatsink-blower unit are not the same and, while the SOC (being the highest) can use TIM, thermal conducting foam is needed to handle the height differences of the other components.

This foam is a standard product and available from many sources in varying sizes, thicknesses and efficiencies. While this isn't the most technical of descriptions (hey, software guy talking), it is one that will work in internet searches...

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

Are you talking about a NUC product? The heights of the SOC and other components that also need to be cooled by the heatsink-blower unit are not the same and, while the SOC (being the highest) can use TIM, thermal conducting foam is needed to handle the height differences of the other components.

This foam is a standard product and available from many sources in varying sizes, thicknesses and efficiencies. While this isn't the most technical of descriptions (hey, software guy talking), it is one that will work in internet searches...

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

No NUC, this is for another DH67 (they're everywhere, they're everywhere). The actual chipset is small, maybe 3/8" squared, but the heat sink over it is much larger, maybe 1.25" squared. I guess I'll buy some Arctic or StarTech heat sink thermal pads. If I cut a piece as large as the underside of the heat sink, it'll make installation easy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Check out this possibility: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3XT1D86602 Newegg.com: 16PCS 15x15x1mm/pcs PC Chip Thermal Conductive Pads Heatsink GPU Shims.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

This is what I just found on ebay.com about CPU thermal adhesive:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XCPU+thermal+adhesi... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XCPU+thermal+adhesi...

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Those products are not tested or recommended by Intel since this clearly voids the Intel product warranty.

Allan.

0 Kudos