Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11360 Discussions

Corrupted BIOS screen/POST code 40 after memory upgrade

BShel1
Beginner

Hey everyone,

A couple days ago, I upgraded my memory from a kit of 16gb (4x4) G.Skill DDR3-1600 to a set of 32gb (4x8) Kingston HyperX DDR3-2400 and got some strange graphical corruption on my board splash screen (see below), plus a code "40" after booting into the OS under most circumstances. Apart from these two symptoms, I can't perceive any kind of performance issue or instability. The system does recognize all 32gb of memory, however CPU-Z has a blank memory timing tab.

System:

i7-3930k

32gb DDR3-2400

DX79SR

Windows 8 Home

Here's what I've tried so far:

Reinstalled the old memory: no change in POST screens. Didn't boot to Windows to see if code appeared.

Reinstalling the latest BIOS/downgrading to previous version: no change.

Changed the overclock presets: POST screen was still screwy, but the code 40 DID NOT appear on the "Default" overclock preset. 1.00 and 1.25 presets still throw 40.

Manually selecting board memory 1666mhz/Kingston 2133mhz XMP profile: System wouldn't complete POST.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BShel1
Beginner

Have an update: even under the default BIOS settings, the board threw a code 40. I then shut off the Turbo Boost feature to run the Processor Diagnostic Tool (which passed 100%) and the POST code went away.