Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JGebe
Beginner

D510MO with 6 TB HDD?

I want to install two 6TB HDDs on the D510MO.

Does someone know, if this will be able to?

Thank you for ideas.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi Elrond,

It is necessary to have UEFI boot option in the BIOS to use Hard Disk Drives with 2TB or more. Your board is old and this feature is not available.

Unified Extensible Firmware Interface

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards,

Mike C
AP16
Valued Contributor III

NM10 chipset SATA controller do not support 2Tb+ drives, neither available drivers for it.

Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi,

Intel included UEFI option in the BIOS since 7 chipset series.

Regards,

Mike C
JGebe
Beginner

Hello mikec_intel,

hello JFFulcrum,

thank you for reply. I want to boot the OS DSM from Synology by using XPEnoboot from usb-stick. Actually i do this and i have two 2.0TB WD RED for data.

Someone wrote to me that i should not encounter any problems. This guy is running two 3.0TB WD RED disks at his M510MO at the moment. And there will not be any limitation regarding size after the 2TiB 32-bit sector addressing.

So do you think that i will have any problems with 6.0TB disks.

Than you for reply.

Regards,

Elrond

AP16
Valued Contributor III

Chipset and MB bios had no support for LBA-48, although system can see 2 TB size from 6 TB HDDs or see something else (like some MBs only), depends of BIOS.

JGebe
Beginner

So i have to install a special pci or mini-pci-express sata-controller for my disks?

AP16
Valued Contributor III

Yes, but PCI is limited to 133 M/s, so performance will be limited too.

JGebe
Beginner

Thanks, so it will make more sense for me to by a real NAS-system just like Synology or something else.

JGebe
Beginner

I bought two 6TB HDD and installed them. The BIOS saw them correctly and so i booted the system from USB-Stick. The DSM saw the the two HDDs too. 10,82 TB together. 3,2 TB are used now.

I will inform you.

Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi Elrond,

Thank you for your update.

Regards,

Mike C