Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tadam7
Beginner

D915GAG graphics on win98se

built a couple of systems with D915GAG boards - need to run win98se - all ok apart from graphics - the chipset drivers for 98se dont run from the downloaded file - if i unpack them and run setup but they dont improve the graphics - all i get is 16 colours and 640 x 480 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Support for an OS from TWENTY-ONE years ago is not available, nor is support for your motherboard.

Win98Se was not supported back when the board was supported:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/4786/Intel-Desktop-Board-D915GAG

Be happy that you 640x480.

Just curious - what in the real world today requires Win98se?

Doc

tadam7
Beginner

thanks - 98se is listed at the link you give on the chipset drivers

what needs win98se - some 21 year old software that runs some very expensive [but old] engineering machines - it does run on XP but not as well

i had previously built a couple of pcs with 865 chipsets and got better graphics on them using the same chipset driver

as said the chipset file does not run as an exe file saying some dll's are missing but runs if i unpack it which makes no sense and i wonder if its actually doing anything - maybe the dll's can be added

AlHill
Super User

Sorry, but this is not supported. And, any 21 year old very expensive software that has not kept up with the times and migrated to a current platform is simply not worth it. If they have kept up with the times, pay for a new license and save yourself the trouble and frustration.

Just an opinion.

Doc

tadam7
Beginner

the software is not expensive and if there were later versions then the user would be more than happy to buy it - there is not - the machines are of a similar age and sell today on the second hand market for £100k - i know nothing about them other than there is no modern version of them

they are testing with XP and its looking as though it will work but like in all things the devil you know is the best option

AlHill
Super User

Several years ago, I built win98se on a D815WR, just for the sole purpose of testing an old ISA card. After the 15 minute test, I promptly disassembled the setup, wiped the disk, happy that I was still able to recall most of the steps needed to accomplish the task.

I wish you luck in getting your setup running.

Doc