Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

D945GNT bios update

I have a D945GNT mother board and want to upgrade the bios 

Details        

mother board:   D945GNT

processor:          Pentium 4 630 ( Hyper  Threading )

BIOS:                   NT 94510J.86A.3528.2006.208.1102

I have some query in this regard

1. is there any problem in directly upgrading with latest .bio file .Because more than 20  updates of bios released so far.

2. Which is the safe way  to upgrade either by flashing .bio file  or with .EB.EXE. file through windows?

3. I want to replace the processor with Pentium D after bios update. So is it necessary to disable Hyper threading in the bios.

kindly advise

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I have attached a ZIP file containing the latest .BIO file I have for the NT board. You need to install this BIOS using the BIOS Recovery process.

For information on the BIOS Update process, consult Intel Desktop Boards BIOS Update Instructions and, for this particular case, Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions.

To help you better, here are my step-by-step instructions for BIOS Recovery:

1. NOTE: Read these instructions completely before starting. Follow all instructions EXACTLY.
  2. On some other Windows-based PC (NOT Linux- or macOS-based!), make sure that you have the .BIO file for the BIOS release you wish to install.
  3. Insert a 32GB or smaller USB 2.0 flash drive into the PC. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives.
  4. Format this USB flash drive using the Windows Format applet. Select to install the FAT32 file system (NOT vFAT, NOT exFAT; FAT32 only). You must also specify that the Quick Format option be Disabled (unchecked).
  5. NOTE: If FAT32 is not offered as a choice by the Format applet, your USB flash drive is too big; use another.
  6. Copy the .BIO file into the root folder of this USB flash drive. This should be the only .BIO file in the root folder of the USB flash drive.
  7. Properly eject the USB flash drive. Do not just yank it out. Do this from File Explorer or using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media System Tray applet.
  8. Power off the Desktop Board system.
  9. Remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board. It will be the only yellow jumper; the rest will usually be black.
  10. NOTE: Remember the pins that this jumper was plugged onto; you will need this information later.
  11. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Do not use blue or yellow USB 3.0 port. Do not use any front panel USB ports.
  12. Power on the system.
  13. The BIOS Recovery process should start automatically. You should see a progress report on your main monitor.
  14. NOTE: If you do not see a progress report displayed on a monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15 minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete, just in case.
  15. When the BIOS Recovery process is complete, you will be asked to power off the system. Do so.
  16. Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the pins it was on previously. This should be across pins 1 and 2 of this (three pin) header.
  17. Remove the USB flash drive from the back panel of the board.
  18. Power on the board.
  19. Immediately begin pressing the F2 key, over and over (approx. once per second) until you see the BIOS Setup (or Visual BIOS) screen displayed.
  20. Verify, using the BIOS version string, that the BIOS installed properly. Stop if it isn't.
  21. Press the F9 key (followed by the Y key) to reset of the BIOS configuration.
  22. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  23. Once screen is cleared (goes black), begin pressing the F2 key, over and over, until you see the BIOS Setup screen displayed.
  24. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration that you desire (for example, disabling NUMLOCK) or that you require (for example, setting Boot Order, enabling UEFI, etc.).
  25. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  26. Test.

Again, follow this process exactly; no deviations and no shortcuts.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

OOPs, didn't answer your questions,

1. Yes, there is a problem. Use the BIOS Recovery process I defined.
  2. Use the BIOS Recovery process I defined.
  3. No, the BIOS should take care of this by itself (well, in theory).

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hai,

Thanks for your prompt response.

But as per the procedure given by you I have done the bios recovery process but nothing happened. I got a black screen with no report with only fan working. Tried all the available 4 ports on the back side (USB 2.0 ) and with 2 different flash drives number of times.

What could be the reason? Any more option left for me to try?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

It simply means that the flash drives you have tried are not compatible with your old BIOS or haven't been prepared properly. I suggest that,

1. You find an older and/or smaller flash drive to try.
  2. Remember that it is very important that you reformat the drive to the FAT32 file system with the Quick Format option disabled. You must do this on a system running Windows natively (i.e. not in a VM, not on Apple hardware and not under any version of Linux or macOS).

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Once again thank you for the prompt response and guidance.I have gone through many posts by intel community especially by   and AlHill before going for the bios update. Though the bios update was failed through appropriate way as advised, as a last resort I have flashed with a usb drive and it was a success and updated to the latest version with a jump.

The intention for bios update was to go for a minor upgrade with a pentiumD processor and I have replaced with a pentium D 820 processor. As perintel documents pentium D is supported both by mother board and bios version but the system was was not booting.The processor fan is spinning normally,mother board green LED glowing but no beep sound and no display in the monitor.The pc is working normally once the old processor put back in the socket. Awaiting for a  solution from the community

0 Kudos