cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SBren6
Novice

DB75EN BIOS update wont work

Jump to solution

I am currently trying to update the BIOS of my Intel DB75EN. I tried following ways:

• Updating in Windows via the .exe of the official download page: "Current BIOS is an unsupported legacy BIOS" is the instant error message
  • Updating via the .bio file on a USB flash drive: After selecting the Update BIOS option at boot and selecting the .bio file on my USB, it takes a while. I see some preparing messages and then a flashing message which took about 30seconds. Then just "flash update failed"

The reason why i am doing all this is a new Graphics card, a GTX 970 which does not work. System gets stuck at the BIOS screen when the new card is plugged in, i cannot enter the BIOS or do something else. The card itself works (worked on another PC and at least shows the BIOS screen), so i assumed a BIOS update might help.

If someone has some hints for updating the BIOS or even make the new Graphics Card work, i would be very grateful.

kind regards,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yea. This is what happens if you install the Management Engine firmware update without having already installed BIOS 46. Now you've created a real problem.

What you are going to have to do is attempt to install BIOS 46 using the BIOS Recovery process. The BIOS Recovery process is documented here: Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions. Here are my additions to these instructions:

1. Use USB 2.0 flash drive. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives!
  2. On a Windows-based PC (NOT a PC running Linux or MACOS!), use the standard Windows Format dialog​ to reformat the flash drive using the FAT32 file system (and ONLY the FAT32 file system!) with the Quick Format option disabled (very important!). If the Windows Format dialog doesn't offer FAT32 as a choice, this means the flash drive that you are attempting to use is too big; get a smaller one.
  3. Download and copy file EN0046.BIO onto this flash drive. No other .BIO files should be present on this drive!
  4. Properly eject the flash drive to ensure writing is complete.
  5. Insert this flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 port on the back panel of the board. Do not use blue USB 3.0 or yellow​ USB Charging ports. Do not use front panel USB ports.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

40 Replies
n_scott_pearson

What BIOS are you currently running? What BIOS are you trying to install?

n_scott_pearson

Also, have you run the Management Engine Firmware Update?

[Hint: don't do it until after you have BIOS 46 installed and running]

SBren6
Novice

Thank you for the quick response.

I just checked, and it seems the BIOS update even worked! I cannot tell which BIOS i had, I tried to update to 86A and this is what INTEL Board ID tool tells me what I currently have.

OK, so the BIOS update worked, this is good news so far. Bad news is, that the GTX 970 still does not work

n_scott_pearson

A BIOS identifier looks like this: ENB7510H.86A.0046.2013.0704.1354. Information is grouped using dots as the separators.

• The first group of characters is the identifier for your board's BIOS.
  • The second identifier (86A) indicates that this is the standard BIOS (if this was different, it would mean that it was a Custom BIOS prepared for a particular System Integrator and you cannot update Custom BIOSs).
  • The third group identifies the version of the BIOS (in this case, BIOS 46).
  • The fourth group identifies the year when this BIOS was prepared.
  • The fifth group identifies the month (07) and day (04) when this BIOS was prepared.
  • Finally, the sixth group identifies the hour (13) and minute (54) when the BIOS was prepared.

All together, the first, second and third groups tell us that this is the 46th release of the Standard BIOS for the DB75EN board. Then, the fourth, fifth and sixth groups tell us that this BIOS release was produced on July 4th, 2013 at 1:54 PM.

For more information regarding BIOS Identifiers, consult this page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005858/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.ht....

Ok, knowing all this, what BIOS are you currently running and that BIOS are you attempting to install?

...S

SBren6
Novice

I also ran the Management Engine Firmware Update, but i did it before updating the BIOS.

I also just asked at Nvidia if they have a clue, 1st level support could not help me here, forwarded to 2nd level.

SBren6
Novice

The bios i currently have is:

ENB7510H.86a.0026.2012.0329.1439

the BIOS i tried to install is this: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/de/download/22943?product=59043

n_scott_pearson

Please provide a capture of the BIOS installation screen with the error message on it.​

SBren6
Novice

bios.JPG

SBren6
Novice

bios2.JPG

n_scott_pearson

No, I mean the BIOS installation screen, where it says "preparing..." and then "installing...". You will need to use cell phone to capture image of screen.

...S​

SBren6
Novice

sorry, now i got it

20190729_193836.jpg

SBren6
Novice

it was quite hard to capture, the screen was only 2 sec like this and then it rebooted - hope you can see everything you need

SBren6
Novice

I just tried something else as well, i found something in the following thread:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004907eeSAA/dh61cr-after-bios-update-fails-to-boot

So I removed the battery to reset the BIOS, resetting worked (got some warnings about clock, some power settings also changed).

I tried to run the same update again, but same result, at least i got a better picture now:

20190729_201615.jpg

n_scott_pearson

Yea. This is what happens if you install the Management Engine firmware update without having already installed BIOS 46. Now you've created a real problem.

What you are going to have to do is attempt to install BIOS 46 using the BIOS Recovery process. The BIOS Recovery process is documented here: Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions. Here are my additions to these instructions:

1. Use USB 2.0 flash drive. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives!
  2. On a Windows-based PC (NOT a PC running Linux or MACOS!), use the standard Windows Format dialog​ to reformat the flash drive using the FAT32 file system (and ONLY the FAT32 file system!) with the Quick Format option disabled (very important!). If the Windows Format dialog doesn't offer FAT32 as a choice, this means the flash drive that you are attempting to use is too big; get a smaller one.
  3. Download and copy file EN0046.BIO onto this flash drive. No other .BIO files should be present on this drive!
  4. Properly eject the flash drive to ensure writing is complete.
  5. Insert this flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 port on the back panel of the board. Do not use blue USB 3.0 or yellow​ USB Charging ports. Do not use front panel USB ports.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

SBren6
Novice

The biggest thank you on earth for you!

I followed the guide and your insturctions carefully, and then the scary part started. After removing the jumper, nothing on my screen, just the fan turning and the front LED blinking.

Fortunatelyi was smart enough, not to shut down the PC and just waited 10min. After 10min the Front LED was permanently on instead of blinking (what it did for at least 2min) - meaning something changed.

So i turned the PC off, placed that jumper and on again, then it was even scarier. It went off after 2sec and restarted, went off after 2sec and restarted again, showed a short BIOS screen and went off again.

After 5 or 6 quick reboots, i saw the windows logo and knew it was fine.

And guess what: Even the new graphics card works now! So everything achieved that i wanted!

No clue what I would have done without you and I thank the world for people like you who help strangers in such a competent way.

Thank you so much!

n_scott_pearson

You are welcome. That's what I'm here for.

...S

NBurg9
Beginner

Hello. I have the same mainboard and bios version (ENB7510H.86a.0026.2012.0329.1439) and I have the same problem as you. I'm about to execute the whole process (recovery bios update). But I have some doubts. When you said:

1. "After 5 or 6 quick reboots, i saw the windows logo and knew it was fine."

These reboots were done automatically by your PC or did you manually do them?

2. "After 10min the Front LED was permanently on instead of blinking (what it did for at least 2min) - meaning something changed."

Which LED do you mean exactly? The power led (mine is red) or the other one is blue with the symbol of a light bulb.? (My pc case is Thermaltake commander ms-i vn 4000 series usb 3.0)

I would appreciate your answer.

Eitant
Beginner
I also have such a board .. After installing Windows 10, after the operating system starts up I have to wait 2 minutes for the internet to connect (this only happens after the computer is turned off). I thought updating the BIOS would solve the problem, if you think there is another way to solve it I would love to know and if the update will solve the problem can I please get the update file?
Thank you!
n_scott_pearson
Connect how? LAN? WLAN?