cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bkami1
Beginner

DE3815TYBE with external GPU?

Jump to solution

I am experimenting with a DE3815TYBE mainboard and trying to use an MSI RX 570 GPU with it. I have 2GB of DDR installed and a 500GB SATA drive connected. I have put the latest BIOS 62 on there.

I have a mini PCe -> PCIe 1x adapter, connected to a 16x riser card to plug the GPU in. When I connect it all up, the system will not boot and I get 2 or 3 flashes on the amber LED.

All adapters and risers were tested separately with a PCIe 1x network card. The system boots fine with the network card and is visible when doing 'lspci' from Ubuntu.

Seems like a BIOS thing....how can I debug this?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Bryan,

The mini-PCIe connector on the DE3815TYBE NUC board is provided for the addition of a wireless capability. I do not believe that the BIOS has support for a bus mastering device being plugged into this connector and I do not believe that the BIOS has support for utilizing the Video ROM provided by the board that you have plugged in to the remote PCIe connector.

Sorry,

...S

View solution in original post

5 Replies
bkami1
Beginner

Is 2 flashes on the amber LED, so Video BIOS issue.

I will look for serial port to maybe get info?

idata
Community Manager

Hello dext0rb

Thank you for joining the community. I will be more than happy to assist you,

Could you share with us the brand and model of the adapter that you are using?

What is the model of the GPU?

What is the model of the network card?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

bkami1
Beginner

Hi Leonardo,

thanks for responding!

The GPU is MSI RX 570 Gaming X 4G

The adapters I'm using are:

mPCIe -> PCIe 1x adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FVPITN8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Amazon.com: Mini PCI-E to PCI-E Express 1X Extension Cord Adapter Card with USB Riser Card: Computers & Accessories

PCIe 1x -> 16x adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/6-Pin-Powered-PCI-Express-Riser/dp/B0741THJ8C/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF... Amazon.com: 6-Pin Powered PCI-E PCI Express Riser Card - VER 006C - 1X to 16X PCIE USB 3.0 Adapter Card - With USB Exten…

The NIC is:

https://www.rosewill.com/rosewill-rc-411-network-adapter-10-100-1000-mbps-pci-express-1-x-rj45.html Network Interface Cards - Wired Networking - IT Products

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Bryan,

The mini-PCIe connector on the DE3815TYBE NUC board is provided for the addition of a wireless capability. I do not believe that the BIOS has support for a bus mastering device being plugged into this connector and I do not believe that the BIOS has support for utilizing the Video ROM provided by the board that you have plugged in to the remote PCIe connector.

Sorry,

...S

View solution in original post

bkami1
Beginner

Thanks! I am suspecting the same thing. Debating trying a different board or building a coreboot BIOS for this one, if possible...getting more over my head at this point, haha