Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

DG 31PR will not boot with DVI attached

I have an older computer which I would like to use as a media center. The specs of the computer is as follows:

DG31PR motherboard with dual core processor and 2GB ram.

The graphic card is a Club 3D Geforce 8400 GS with a VGA and DVI output.

The TV is a Panasonic with both VGA and HDMI input.

My problem is that when I hook the TV up to the computer using VGA everything works fine. If I hook up the TV using a DVI to HDMI cable, I see that the TV gets the signal and I see the bios come up, but the bios freezes right at the beginning (BEFORE the setup screen - when it's checking the video card). This happens every time. If I boot the computer without any monitor, and after windows comes up I plug in the TV, it works (although the desktop size is wrong). To make a very long and frustrating story short, I updated the bios(0071 - 03/18/2010), I cleared the CMOS a number of times. I played around with the settings (couldn't find anything that I would guess could remotely disrupt the boot). I swapped video cards with others I had. I disconnected anything that wasn't necessarily from the computer. But nothing helped. The bios always froze. Thinking that it was the video card, I then took the video card out of the computer and stuck it in a very old P4 I had lying around, and IT WORKED. It booted up just fine with the DVI to HDMI cable attached to the TV (the correct desktop size too). I knew that the cable was good because it worked beforehand with other computers.

Unless I am wrong, it seems to me that there is a problem with the bios (setting or otherwise) or with something else on the motherboard.

Can anyone help me out. I'm starting to get very frustrated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Community Manager

Thank you. Unfortunately, Intel is no longer providing interactive support for this specific product. This specific unit went out of support on November 2010.

For more details, please refer to the following URL:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpboards/dg31pr http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpboards/dg31pr