Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

DG33FB PCIe x 16 - can a SAS card be used in this?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have acquired this motherboard,and have tested it with a windows install successfullly. Also updated the BIOS to the latest version.

The intention was to install a SAS card (LSI 1068e http://www.lsi.com/products/storagecomponents/Pages/LSISAS1068E.aspx LSI SAS1068E) which has been tested in a newer machine recently. When it's installed, the system does not boot at all, not into BIOS or the SAS card BIOS.

I suspect this is because the PCIe x 16 interface is only for video cards, but don't know for sure. Please help.

Regards,

Martin

Edit: I tried pinging the network card after adding the SAS card in case the system had booted without any screen activity, but there was no reply so it is definitely not reaching the bios

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
idata
Community Manager

Hello,

The motherboard by default will disable the onboard graphics as it believes that it is a video card installed as the plug and play id is very similar.

Currently the only option that may help the SAS controller card being recognized properly is under the security tab and it is called expansion card text, this will allow some cards to be recognized correctly.

If this does not work, check with the manufacturer of the card to check if there are firmware updates available that could help on this issue.

Regards.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Martin,

To answer your inquiry, yes populating the PCI Express* slot will automatically disable the on-board graphics controller.

idata
Community Manager

Thanks for the response. Is there a way I can use the PCIe x 16 slot with this card, without disabling the integrated graphics? Perhaps a different bios?

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Martin,

Just for you to know SAS cards are only recommended to be used on Servers Systems.

You may try to disable the boot to options that you are not using, like boot to network, USB boot, etc on the BIOS.

Then, under the boot tab >Boot display options> enable the expansion card text.

Regards,

idata
Community Manager

Hello,

The motherboard by default will disable the onboard graphics as it believes that it is a video card installed as the plug and play id is very similar.

Currently the only option that may help the SAS controller card being recognized properly is under the security tab and it is called expansion card text, this will allow some cards to be recognized correctly.

If this does not work, check with the manufacturer of the card to check if there are firmware updates available that could help on this issue.

Regards.

View solution in original post

idata
Community Manager

Thanks for the replies. Sadly the motherboard caught on fire while I was trying to resolve the issue, so I cannot confirm any of the suggestions will work.