Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

DG33TL refuses / fails all BIOS updates

I have recently tried to install a MSI Radeon HD 6670 2GB GDDR3 onto my board. However, after install while it did power on and display the BIOS splash screen, it would lock up at that point. Being able to think of nothing else and receiving no useful suggestions from MSI customer support, I decided to try a BIOS update to see if that might fix the problem.

Problem is, no matter how or which BIOS update I choose to download & install, whether it be the newest one or any inbetween from the revision I currently have. I receive the following:

Current revision: DPP3510J.86A.0326.2008.0227.1102

Updating revision: DPP3510J.86A.0572.2009.0715.2346

Preparing image for Intel(R) Management Engine firmware ... [done]

Preparing image for recovery firmware ... [done]

Preparing image for main firmware ... [failed!] (30608 bytes overflow)

Flash update failed!

Technical information: (0x80000000000000B, 1267)

Depending on the BIOS version I am trying to install, this differs only with (???? bytes overflow). But it literally with EVERY single BIOS version I have downloaded and tried. I have used the .EXE files, I have downloaded Intel Integrator Toolkit and tried it from there, and I have downloaded the ISO files as well and booted from CD. None of these are successful, and the problem is becoming increasingly frustrating.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Community Manager

cdelse,

Did you remove the video card before attempting to flash the BIOS? If not try that.

According to the http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15061/eng/DG33TL_TechProdSpec.pdf TPS, the DG33TL supports PCI Express Rev 1.0a. Correct me if I am wrong, but the card you are using is PCIe 2.1.

I believe there is a power output difference between PCIe 2.1 and PCIe 1.0a. The firmware might address this, but I didn't see anything in the release notes.

Jason

idata
Community Manager

Yes, I took the new card out and put the old one in the flash the BIOS (MSI GeForce 8400 GS). To my knowledge PCIe is fully backwards compatible, therefore any PCIe card should work it would just run at PCIe 1.0 speeds. I did my best to research this before purchasing the card.

idata
Community Manager

Did you successfully flash the BIOS?

What is the status of your system now?

idata
Community Manager

No, I'm saying this is what I've done from the start. It would be impossible to flash the BIOS with the 6670 in there because it will not even post.

idata
Community Manager

Well, sorry, that's not clear from the OP.

You could try using the onboard video and take out any unnecessary components.

idata
Community Manager

Sorry I can see that I wasn't clear. I'm getting video without issue though with the 8400GS, so I'm not sure how using onboard video would help?

idata
Community Manager

cdelse,

It wouldn't. I've cross checked my logic with a colleague and I was a bit off.. embarrassing.

Did you try different BIOS revs as well as different flashing methods? I notice you only mentioned 326.2008 to 326.2009... that's the same BIOS rev from different years. Have you tried rev 407?

Jason

idata
Community Manager

I have tried with every revision that is available on the Intel site. I get a "bytes overflow" error with each one, despite method used.

Edit: Also I apologize, the original text block had a typo. In that instance, I was trying to update to rev 0572. I've fixed it now.

idata
Community Manager

The same colleague I corrected myself with says that he has only seen "bytes overflow" when using the wrong BIOS.

I hate to ask, but are you sure it's a DG33TL desktop board?

idata
Community Manager

Yup, 110% positive. It's printed on the actual board and it what's CPU-Z reads it as. You'll also see the current version of the BIOS installed, matches the string for the newer versions I'm trying to install.

idata
Community Manager

Is there any reason why the BIOS updates would think the board does not match? Is there anyway I can still force install the BIOS? Extensive Google searches don't reveal anything. :\

idata
Community Manager

Would anyone have any further suggestions? MSI tech support is still of no help to me.

idata
Community Manager

bump

idata
Community Manager

Problem has become increasingly weirder...

After trying to install the BIOS via the jumper recovery method, the BIOS update fails (again). I turn off the computer, put the jumper back on, and turn it back on. Now the computer boots up with the new video card installed! Fantastic, problem solved I figure. Windows boots up, I download and install the latest drivers from the AMD site, and reboot. Lock up again at the BIOS splash screen. I do the same method to try to boot into Windows again (purposely fail the BIOS recovery update, reboot), and while BIOS posts successfully it now locks up on the Windows splash screen.

What is going on?