I have been using this board with Core 2 Quad 6600 processor and 4 GB RAM for last 8 years without any trouble. I shutdown my system as usual at night yesterday and today morning it refuses to boot all of a sudden.
All I have now when I turn on the system is:
- Num lock, cap lock and scroll lock LEDs blink as usual i.e. its a normal thing
- But nothing on monitor
- HDD LED always ON without a blink
- Keyboard does not work at all. So F2 to go to BIOS or any other shortcut does not work.
I have tried:
- Memtest on RAM, its perfect
- HDD SMART test, its perfect - It had always had those 6 bad sectors - nothing new
- Then I removed everything from the board(except processor and RAM) and boot with PCI debug card, POST code shown is 34. So may be, its trying to do BIOS recovery.
- First thing i tried is remove battery for 5-10 minutes after complete switch off of the board - didn't work
- I burned the BIOS .bio file to a rewritable DVD and tried to boot the system with it hoping it may be running the recovery process and check for BIOS file in the DVD drive; later i removed the jumper to force the board to look for recovery file. Nothing worked.
- I then tried .bio file in a pen drive as well, but no change.
- Tried removing the heat sink, cleaning and reinstalling with new thermal paste. No change.
- If i remove RAM, it gives 3 beeps indicating that it didn't detect usable RAM
Can anyone suggest what can be done to solve the problem?
Hhmmm, seeing any of the recovery POST codes is not a good sign. Since you last saw POST code 34 (Loading Recovery Capsule), it may be that the BIOS Flash IC has failed.This may be nonrecoverable.
Hope this helps...
Thank you for your reply.
Have you tested one memory stick at a time? or Did you try different memory?
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-025434.htm Desktop Boards — Port 80h POST Codes