Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SKwan2
Beginner

DG41WV , POST beep vanished after BIOS update.

Hi

I have a PC using DG41WV, and I've time doing some maintenance, and goto Intel site to take a look if there is BIOS update for the board.

My DG41WV's BIOS was v0016, and I find Intel site has v0018. I download the BIOS update for Windows 7. After I completed the BIOS update, I let it reboot.

And I notice something is wrong, It doesn't beep after it pass the POST , I can get in Windows. But everytime I re-boot the computer, it won't beep after POST check complete.

I did try boot the computer without RAM, the speaker gives me 3 beeps. So, I can tell the on board speaker isn't broken. I guess something wrong in the BIOS files.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

There's nothing wrong. That's just the keyboard ready beep. It is optional and you can enable it in BIOS Setup.

The BIOS Configuration parameters typically survive the update process with their settings intact, but, depending upon the types of changes being applied to the BIOS, sometimes resetting some parameters cannot be avoided. This is why I always recommend resetting all parameters after a BIOS update so you understand exactly how you have the BIOS configured.

​You can enable the beep again if you wish. Frankly, I find the beep to be incredibly annoying and do not want​ it enabled.

Hope this helps,

...S​

SKwan2
Beginner

Oh well, I try re-set BIOS with the jumper on motherboard, However, Post Beep is still dead silent. I read something from internet, some BIOS can disable Post Beep by setting POST-HotKey Delay to "0". But I don't see such option in my BIOS setup. Maybe this version BIOS doesn't want anyone toying with POST related parameters in BIOS setup. I haven't try flash BIOS in DOS, but I guess it won't made any differece.

n_scott_pearson

They may have changed the default for this parameter to disabled (so it annoys less people 😉). Look in the Boot parameters for one titled something like "Startup Sound" or "Keyboard Ready Beep"...

...S

SKwan2
Beginner

Well, I go through every place in the BIOS setup, can't find anyplace for change the Startup sound / Keyboard Ready beep.

Oh, I haven't tell you something, before I update the BIOS. The Computer actually give you 2 beeps , 1st one for you just power on the pc, and the 2nd one for the Keyboard Ready. Maybe this is the reason why they disable the BEEP for the lastest BIOS update. Maybe some people complain about it.

n_scott_pearson

Yea, that was Keyboard Ready beep and then the Startup beep (as it started the boot process). I don't believe that the capability was removed altogether; the defaults were just changed to do-not-beep; the parameters should still be there. Unfortunately, I no longer have any boards this old to check.

Sorry,

...S

SKwan2
Beginner

It is okay, at least the BIOS update is likely made the computer works a tiny bit more smoothly. It's almost 8-9 years old motherboard, but it s still working in good condition, I am amaze with intel motherboard.