Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11358 Discussions

DH55TC at 100% CPU usage after update to WIn 10 64bit

Avikannan
Novice

Hi,

Background: 

My Desktop is from 2014 (used only for some browsing and python jupyter notebook coding) and i recently updated the system to be ready for a online course which starts soon. Do not want to buy new laptop or desktop as i use my Ipad for general use now.

Configuration : DH55TC motherboard , 1TB HDD , i5 650 @3.20GHz , No add-on graphic card

Update done:

Description Before After
RAM 2 x 2GB 1333

2 x 2GB 1333

2 x 4GB 1333

OS Windows 10 pro 32bit Windows 10 pro 64bit

Issue Faced:

1. Computer is much slower than before even with higher RAM and OS bit
  2. Device Manager shows - PCI Serial Port Driver not available
  3. CPU usage is at 104%!
  4. Drivers not available on Intel site due to discontinuation of Desktop Boards

Actions Tried:

• Tried EasyDrivers v5.6.15 to find the drivers - Did not show any missing driver.

Help in troubleshooting this would be highly helpful.

This is the last resort to find a solution.

Thanks in advance for help and support,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Actually, your board is from 2009 and your processor from 2010.

You should NEVER use a 3rd party driver tool.  Windows 10, 20H2, will supply all the drivers you need.  When using a 3rd party tool, you never know what information is uploaded and what is contained in the packages you download.

If you want to fix the problem, my best recommendation is to get yourself a 2.5" SATA SSD, and move your installation to that drive. 

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Actually, your board is from 2009 and your processor from 2010.

You should NEVER use a 3rd party driver tool.  Windows 10, 20H2, will supply all the drivers you need.  When using a 3rd party tool, you never know what information is uploaded and what is contained in the packages you download.

If you want to fix the problem, my best recommendation is to get yourself a 2.5" SATA SSD, and move your installation to that drive. 

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

View solution in original post

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You might be seeing some of these issues because of the fact that there is no Windows 10 support from Intel for the iGFX engine. For iGFX, you are running on a (also fairly ancient) compatibility driver from Microsoft. While it works in most cases, its performance is poor and its support for OpenGL (etc.) is very old.

Al is correct; unless you need support for Intel RST (i.e., RAID), ~most~ of the drivers you need are built into Windows 10.

You said "Serial port driver", but these are definitely built into Windows 10. Is it perhaps saying "PCI Simple Communications Controller"? This is actually the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) and you may have to manually install this driver -- and yes, you are right, it is not available in the Intel Download Center. If you want it, I attached it to my response in another conversation (here: https://community.intel.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives/PCI-Simple-communications-controller/m-p/1242733)

Hope this helps,

...S

Avikannan
Novice

@n_scott_pearson :

Thanks for inputs!

It is actually the PCI Serial port which shows as no driver in Device Manager.

Would the MEI help solve the above driver topic? 
if yes , I will try this first. As second option then change to SSD.

greetings,

Avinash

n_scott_pearson

No, the MEI package won't help with that.

As a legacy device, you shouldn't have to add any drivers for Serial (I don't remember having to).

...S

Avikannan
Novice

@n_scott_pearson & @AlHill :

Thanks for your inputs. 

i tried removing the old DDR3 RAMS and kept only the 2 x 4GB in DIMM0. Now the computer works normal and CPU usage around 8-15%. Not sure if the cause was old RAMS (which worked fine until upgrade) or the RAM slots.

Anyway i have ordered SSD with PCI e SATA 3 card and will move the OS to this to gain some speed.

I shall keep you posted if something comes up.

i really appreciate your time to support.

Avikannan
Novice

Thanks for the suggestion.

just thinking if SSD would solve the issue or is it going to be only a marginal improvement? The downgrade of performance now is almost 40-50% . If adding a SSD is just going to be compensating this downgraded performance , is it better to go back to old config?

n_scott_pearson

Interesting you asked that. When I upgraded a DP55KG system to Windows 10, I was not happy with the performance bottlenecks created by the lack of graphics support and by only having SATA II support in the chipset. For the first issue, I tried a couple of fairly inexpensive graphics cards and settled on an MSI GeForce 750 ti card. For the second limitation, I purchased this card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01452SP1O. In addition to providing a SATA III interface for a SSD, it offers a second port to support (speed up access to) a data drive and it hosts the SSD right there on this card (simplifying installation).

....S

Avikannan
Novice

@AlHill :

Is there a way to remove the 3P drivers now?