Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kredfish00
Beginner

DH55TC .... i7-870 2.93 Ghz upgrade.....

What graphics card would you recommend since the i7-870 I upgraded to does not support the onboard graphics. I am mainly using this desktop as an entertainment PC......to stream video and would like a graphics card that supports HDMI to connect to a flat screen. I am not a big gamer but that feature would be an added plus!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I was using an NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti with my 5 Series board.

...S

n_scott_pearson

To be honest, I don't remember. I donated this system to charity sometime back and the card went with it.

What I can tell you is that support for more-modern graphics cards is hit or miss. For example, I had a version of the card that came directly from NVIDIA yet someone with the MSI version of the card could not get it work with their board. Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed (for TC, it is TC0048P.BIO) and make sure you enable UEFI.

...S

kredfish00
Beginner

I was looking at the GTX 1060 6GB that was a later model but I guess that would be overkill for just watching HDMI video......having the gaming possibility is a plus but wondering if it is worth it.......
kredfish00
Beginner

Can you point me to where I would find that BIOS update.......I cannot find it on Intel's site....
n_scott_pearson

I would be concerned that that is too new and likely wouldn't work.

...S

kredfish00
Beginner

I have seen other users who had no problems with the GTX 1060 and this mobo. I just don't want to run into another non-supported-due-to-age video card.....
kredfish00
Beginner

I was looking at the EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1060 w 6GB.......I would assume this woould work with the DH55TC and the i7-870 2.93 Ghz processor......

kredfish00
Beginner

I decided to heed your advice on the newer boards and went with the EVGA Geforce GTX660 FTW w/ ACX 2GB GDDR5 SLI Graphics Card (02G-P4-3063-KR). Hopefully this will solve the problem. I would like to know where I can get that latest BIOS update TC0048.BIO if you have a link .....

n_scott_pearson

Latest BIOS is in attached ZIP file. Use the F7 method to install this BIOS.

...S

kredfish00
Beginner

I copied this file to the root directory of a thumb drive but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to load the update from that location. It is not one of the locations that are seen. I am also have trouble with the desktop closing down on its own. Are there any other jumper settings I need to change for this newer processor? Should UEFI be changed to ENABLE? I am not seeing a great wealth of info on anything with regards to this mobo and processor.

kredfish00
Beginner

OK.....I figured out the BIOS update but it looks like it is the same version I have installed. The problem I seem to be having now is some sort of Thermal Trip going on. I thought that was something indicated by the old processor which is why I opted to go with the newer processor. I thoroughly coated the newer CPU with the thermo paste and installed it so I am confused as to why this Thermal Trip is continuing to happen!

n_scott_pearson

Hhmmm... It sounds like the processor fan is not being accelerated as the processor heats up. You do have the heatsink fully and properly attached to the motherboard (using the four black pins) and its fan plugged into the processor fan header, right?

There is also the possibility that you need to run a fan redetection operation. This is initiated from within BIOS Setup.

...S

kredfish00
Beginner

OK......the heatsink is properly seated......I insured this when I upgraded the processor to the Quad Core. Now, realizing that it was having this same thermal trip problem with the old processor, I am wondering what fan connections? could have been compromised? I think there are more fans in this desktop PC than in any one I have ever built! There's one in the front, one in the back, and then of course one right over the CPU, and now of course one on the new graphics card the EVGA GTX750 Ti.

Now I did set the fan detect to ALWAYS and the fans seem to be operating but the system still shuts off after a few minutes.

What would you recommend?

kredfish00
Beginner

Alrighty then.....went over ALL connections one more time and it booted right up into Windows 10 so I can only imagine some loose connection was prohibiting the full fan control and now it seems to be operating well.

Is there a manual one can obtain to fully understand this BIOS TC0048? There are so many settings and I am not sure which ones should be used or should not be used for this CPU. Any help you could offer is greatly appreciated. And again, thank you for all the help you have provided.

n_scott_pearson

The documentation available for this board can be downloaded from here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023741/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.ht....

There is also a Desktop Boards BIOS Settings Glossary that can be downloaded from here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005476/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.ht....

I would grab these while you can. Considering they've dropped support for the download of drivers and BIOS releases, documentation may go next.

...S

kredfish00
Beginner

Well no doubt it is working better.....but I am still have a Thermal Trip issue. I installed HWMonitor to try and see what is overheating.......may be able to drill down to where the problem is occuring.

Thanks you so much for the manuals! Such a great asset to have to try and work through the BIOS settings. Thank you so much!