Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

DH61AG Bios Update needed

Preface: I am very aware support is over for desktop boards and there was ample notice.

Background: I mentor a robotics team, and like many schools in the US, my students are being forced into distance learning models. One of them has multiple siblings and comes from a family of limited means. All 3 of the siblings need to make use of the two family computers at the same time.

I happen to have a DH61AG sitting in a Gigabyte GB-AEBN chassis collecting dust on a shelf and wanted to donate it to the family to lessen the load.

Problem is, I only have a i7-3770t for a CPU, and my BIOS version is 0037 and I need 0039 at a minimum to make this CPU work with this board.

Pressing F7 does isn't any help, the prompt tells me I cannot update through this method.

Putting the BIOS on a USB and connecting it to the system with the recovery jumper removed does nothing (the instructions say to use a black port for the USB, but I only have blue or yellow to choose from) and since this mode doesn't power the screen on, I cannot tell if there are any prompts on the screen.

I do not have the update utilities or similar.

What I am hoping for is someone to point me at a way to make this work.

0 Kudos
35 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

I have attached 0109 in zip format.

However, you still have a problem. In order to support the new processor, you need to update the bios with the old processor (which was supported by your old bios).

So, you will need a 2nd gen processor from this list to update the bios, before you can insert your 3rd gen processor

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop-boards/DH61AG.pdf

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Whoops... Even more important. Your i7-3770T is not on the supported list.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

The i7-3770S is on the list, and I have one of those as well, but don't I need to go from 37 to 99 before going to 109?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Also, I have an i3-2100 around here somewhere as well, so I should be able to update using that,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Looks like I need to update to version 39 before I can update to 99, before I can update to 109.

Anyone have version 39 handy?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

In a perfect world, doing the incremental updates is great, if you have the updates.

Or, you can do the recover method defined by Scott in this thread:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004VhEOFSA3/how-to-upgrade-dz75ml45k-bios-from-0006-to-00...

You must follow is procedure exactly. Do not dismiss or skip any steps.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I will try to follow these steps in the morning.

Problem is that I have 2 yellow USB ports, 2 Blue USB ports, one Orange USB port, and exactly zero black ones, so that will make following the directions to the letter darn near impossible.

I will try to work it out in the morning.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Then, use one of the two USB 2.0 Yellow ports.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Used the yellow ports, the USB has been configured per the instructions you linked, I get nothing on internal or external displays, so I cannot confirm what is happening.

The USB randomly flashes, and has been doing so for well in excess of an hour.

Not sure how long I should wait before removing and powering off.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I went ahead and powered the system off and replaced the jumper, still on version 037.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I do not have an answer. Maybe @n.scott.pearson​ can help.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I appreciate your efforts thus far. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, the yellow ports are USB 2.0 and should be just fine for this. The yellow color signifies that these ports also provide high-current fast-charging support (such as it was back then). This fast-charging support adds an extra variable to failure analysis, but this can't be avoided as Apple Glen doesn't have any other USB 2.0 ports that aren't cabled off internal connectors (which represents even more problematic variables). The goal of the stringent rules I include in my algorithm is to avoid as many of the extra variables as possible.

I am not sure what orange connector the OP is referring to. There are only the two yellow USB 2.0 and the two blue USB 3.0 ports on the back panel. As far as I know, there are no orange connectors at all (even internally).

AGBackPanel.jpg

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

It was E-Sata, I was glasses free when looking at the port and didn't get a good look until this morning.

I followed your directions to the letter, however, nothing seems to happen other than random seeks of the USB stick when booted in recovery mode. I left the system running for nearly 2 hours and nothing seems to have happened. I did have it connected to external monitors, as well as with the internal display. The only thing I did not try was converting the on-board DVI to VGA (because I have not had a chance to dig that cable out yet)

I get nothing on the screen when in recovery mode, so I am unsure if there is an error message or some other message on the screen. Going to dig out my DVI to VGA cable and try again,

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Wait 15 minutes before powering off. Typically, no display means not working. If the BIOS Recovery operation is proceeding without a display (sh!t happens), it should typically take no more than ~10 minutes to complete. I pad this to 15 minutes to ensure no outliers result in the board getting bricked by a poorly-timed power-off.

So, you reformatted your USB 2.0 flash disk and placed a copy of file AG0039.BIO (or AG0099.BIO if you could not find AG0039.BIO; I saw that AG0099.BIO can be downloaded from SoftPedia). You then inserted a 2nd gen processor in board, removed BIOS Configuration jumper and powered on. This resulted in no display and no BIOS Recovery occurring. Is that correct?

Ok, you're powered off. Plus a pair of speakers or headphones into the green audio port. Then, when you power on, listen for any beeps. If you hear any, respond and tell us the pattern of the beeps. Before doing so, however, power off, remove the SODIMM(s) installed and then power on again. Do you hear beeps now? Include this pattern in the response as well.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

An i5-2405s is in the system now. I will need to return it to my Media Center PC, so it cannot stay with the current system. It boots to the OS just fine with the DH61AG board.

I reformatted per your instructions on the other thread, placed the AG0099.BIO file from SoftPedia on the freshly formatted USB 2.0 256Mb stick I keep around for stuff like this.

I removed the yellow jumper from the board, inserted the USB, applied power to the board, get about 2 seconds of flashing of the USB stick via the activity light in the stick and the fan at high speed for roughly 2 seconds, but no video or audio cues either from the headphones, or the embedded speakers.

If I use the AG0109 file that Doc provided earlier, I get constant random flashing of the USB, but no activity on the video or audio side of things.

If I remove the memory, I get a pattern of three long beeps, roughly 1 second each with 1 second between them through the headphones.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Incompatible memory? What exactly are you using?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I suppose it is possible, but it does boot into Windows just fine with the i5 CPU.

This was a kit I got after attending an Intel Developer Conference 8(ish) years ago when they introduced the Thin Mini-ITX products. You could order a SKU from Intel that came bare-bones style for you to self-assemble. Use this for a bunch of years as a kid PC, then pulled the CPU for a HTPC as the kids transitioned to Laptops

Using a PNY MN4GSD31600-Z kit, 2x 4GB modules, 1600MHz

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I am not sure what to suggest next. There is a possibility that we're seeing a situation where the original BIOS, because it was in a preview, is not compatible with subsequent BIOS. In this case, a transition BIOS would be necessary. I am check into this with a former colleague...

...S

0 Kudos