Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

DH61AG Bios Update needed

Preface: I am very aware support is over for desktop boards and there was ample notice.

Background: I mentor a robotics team, and like many schools in the US, my students are being forced into distance learning models. One of them has multiple siblings and comes from a family of limited means. All 3 of the siblings need to make use of the two family computers at the same time.

I happen to have a DH61AG sitting in a Gigabyte GB-AEBN chassis collecting dust on a shelf and wanted to donate it to the family to lessen the load.

Problem is, I only have a i7-3770t for a CPU, and my BIOS version is 0037 and I need 0039 at a minimum to make this CPU work with this board.

Pressing F7 does isn't any help, the prompt tells me I cannot update through this method.

Putting the BIOS on a USB and connecting it to the system with the recovery jumper removed does nothing (the instructions say to use a black port for the USB, but I only have blue or yellow to choose from) and since this mode doesn't power the screen on, I cannot tell if there are any prompts on the screen.

I do not have the update utilities or similar.

What I am hoping for is someone to point me at a way to make this work.

0 Kudos
35 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for helping. I have found a few boards online, new in box, what are the odds these boards will have updateable BIOS?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

When you tried recovery using the USB drive, was the BIO file the ONLY BIO file in the ROOT of the flash drive? If there are more than one, the system will not update as it does not know which to use for flashing.

What version of the BIOS is the board on now? It needs to be on 0038 or later to go to the transition BIOS 0099. Looks like there was an ME FW update in BIOS 0037. ME7 for Sandy Bridge, ME8 for Ivy Bridge. You will need to flash to at least 0038 to update to latest ME7 FW. Then do jumper recovery of 0038 to go to ME8. The last production BIOS before the transition BIOS was 0045.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

0037 is on the board now.

The only file on the drive was the single .bio I was trying at that particular moment.

The only versions I can find are 099 or 109, I cannot find any other BIOS earlier than 099

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

That is the problem. You MUST be on 0038 or higher to be able to go to 0099.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

The best I can do on this is 0039.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

It turns out that the transition BIOS is 0039. I am attaching a ZIP file providing BIOS Updates 0039, 0099 and 0109. This will avoid you having to use any of those nefarious download sites.

The Release Notes provided a process for upgrading. These involve booting to MSDOS and running iFlash2. Even though I have media set up for booting to MSDOS, I prefer to use BIOS Recovery to do updates like this. Here is the process that I would use:

1. Follow my standard BIOS Recovery process (see here: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004WTCpdSAH/where-can-i-have-the-dh61br-bios-the-download...) using file AG0039P.BIO. You can skip Step 4 if using flash disk you reformatted (my way) previously. After Step 22, where you are exiting from BIOS Setup, once you see the BIOS Splash Screen appear, power off.
  2. On another PC, delete AG0039P.BIO file from flash disk.
  3. Copy AG0099.BIO file onto flash disk.
  4. Properly eject the USB flash drive.
  5. Follow the BIOS Recovery process, starting at Step 9. Again, after Step 22, once you see the BIOS Splash Screen appear, power off.
  6. On another PC, delete AG0099.BIO file from flash disk.
  7. Copy AG0109.BIO file onto flash disk.
  8. Properly eject the USB flash drive.
  9. Follow the BIOS Recovery process, starting at Step 9, but this time you will be going all the way to the end of the process.

If there is anything in these instructions you do not understand or have questions about, stop and respond here.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Since I have never talked about it before, I thought I would insert a comment here. It's meant for everyone, not just the OP...

The .BIO files contain capsules that are both compressed and encrypted. This means that, in theory, they cannot be tampered with. If someone tries tampering with one of these files, the file will be rejected (because it cannot be decrypted) and the update operation aborted. This means that downloading .BIO files from these third-party download sites should be fairly safe.

That said, with this one exception, I would not trust anything else posted on these sites. Follow these rules:

1. Do not (ever!) double-click or use the context menu Open entry on any file you've downloaded, regardless of the file type.
  2. Even .TXT files should not be trusted. If you must look at them, start your editor running first and then read the file into the editor.
  3. For .XML, .HTML, etc. files, your best bet is to use an editor or viewer that does not understand them. This makes them harder to read, but this is much safer.
  4. For .ZIP, .ARC, .RAR, etc. files, start your archive tool running first and then read in the file. If you do not have an archive tool (for example, you've been relying on Windows 10's built-in support for ZIP files), get one! I use 7-ZIP; it works great, integrates well with Windows context menus and is free.

That's it. Stay safe.

...S

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the update, however, same/similar behavior to my earlier attempts. The fan spins up to full speed for about 2 seconds, the USB disk flashes for about 2 seconds, then the fan goes to idle and the disk goes dark. Nothing more happens.

Is there a possibility that for some arcane reason, this board needs to use the iFlash2 process?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Seems I answered my own question.

• "Recovery update from AG0037 or earlier version to current BIOS is not supported due to huge structural changes. (from the BIOS Release Notes)

Looks like I need iFlash2

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

Just grab any NUC BIOS download that has .BI in the zip filename. This means it includes iFlash2 for DOS. Try and get a BIOS for any NUC made before 2018. You will need a bootable DOS flash drive to use this version of iFlash2. Windows 98 DOS will work too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Mixed bag of success at the moment.

Managed to get up to FW 099 but cannot get further. With 099, I have lost my AIO LVDS display for some reason. The system thinks it is there because it is what is trying to show me the status. If I connect an external monitor, I just get the Intel board logo indefinitely.

Can now enter the BIOS, but cannot seem to get the internal display working.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Grabbing at straws here: Try resetting your BIOS configuration.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Also, define what you mean by external monitor and internal display. Do you have an add-on graphics adapter, or are you using the graphic ports on the board?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

The DH61AG is installed in a Gigabyte GGB-AEBN-SI All In One Chassis, which has an 18.5 inch wide screen 1920 x 1080 panel mounted in it drive by low voltage differential signaling (LVDS) by the DH61AG LVDS port.

This is what I am calling an internal display as all of the cabling is internal of the chassis and enclosure when assembled.

The external display is one of those silly 1280 x 1024 17 inch Dell displays they used to give away with every computer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Attempted to reset BIOS, no difference. It is almost like the settings which govern the LVDS output are corrupted.

Have ordered New Old Stock of another board. Going to attempt to recovery flash 099 again later today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You did upgrade to 39 and tested there (at least running BIOS Setup) before you tried to upgrade to 99, right?

...S

0 Kudos