cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

DH61CR BIOS update 0120 ''Bios is an unsupported Legacy Bios''

Hello Hello

I've bought an MSI RX570 8Gb's yesterday and i wasn't able to get any signal from the DVI or even the integrated while the new card is on.

So i've thought that i would try a Bios update since mine was on version 0038. I've managed to successfully update it to version 0048 like it is asked before doing it. I am trying to update it to version 0120.

But even though it say my motherboard is on the valid list for this product. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23393/BIOS-Update-BEH6110H-86A-?product=51857

Everytime i try to start the express installation it say my BIOS is an unsupported legacy one and even if i just switched to UEFI with MBR2GPT /convert /allowFullOS

If anyone could help me, it would be much appreciated!

Serge

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Try and update to 099 first. Then go up in steps until it wont let you update anymore. There is a problem with 102.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, save yourself a lot of headaches: Do not use the Express BIOS Update packages! Use either the F7 or BIOS Recovery methods to install all BIOS updates.

Secondly, there are very special instructions in the BIOS Release Notes that you should be following. To save you time, here is the process that I recommend you follow:

1. Reinstall BIOS 48 using the BIOS Recovery process.
  2. Install BIOS 99 using the BIOS Recovery process.
  3. Install BIOS 109 using the BIOS Recovery process.
  4. Install BIOS 120 using the F7 process.

The BIOS Recovery process is documented here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005630/boards-and-kits.html?wapkw=bios+r.... I have some additional input on this process:

1. Use a USB 2.0 flash disk. Do not use USB 3.0 flash disks.
  2. After placing the .BIO file onto the USB flash disk, properly eject it from the PC; do not just yank it out.
  3. Note: there should only be one .BIO file on the USB flash disk. Between steps, delete the existing .BIO file and then copy on the new .BIO file.
  4. Plug the USB flash disk into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Do not use front panel USB ports.
  5. After completing the BIOS update process, do the following:
    1. When you see BIOS Splash screen, use F2 key to enter BIOS Setup.
    2. Use F9 key (followed by Y) to reset the BIOS Configuration to defaults.
    3. Use F10 key (followed by Y) to save this configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
    4. When you see BIOS Splash screen, use F2 key to again enter BIOS Setup.
    5. Make any changes required (boot order, etc.) and desired (disable NUMLOCK, etc.) changes in the BIOS Configuration
    6. Use F10 key (followed by Y) to save this configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
    7. When you again see the BIOS Splash Screen, power off. Y0ou can now try putting the new graphics card into the system.

Hope this helps,

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks i will try that. I've finally managed to get some internet by installing Ubuntu and using my mobile usb modem so it could share the wifi. Sorry if i took a while to answer.

Because i've installed 0099 before there was any reply and now i don't have any internet anymore. The 82579v Gigabit network connector doesn't want to work ''Cannot start(Code 10)''. But it was still working on 0048 and i just don't know if my RX570 will work on 0048 either xD. (And my bad, i've used the express installer and i thought everything went fine...)

The good news is that the RX570 now work! But yeah no internet so i gotta fix that >.>

PS: If anyone have an idea to fix that ethernet problem. Will be much appreciated. Otherwise i'll have to rollback to 0048 and hope for the best i guess? (Im pretty sure it said you can't do that though...)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Unfortunately, this actually isn't necessarily good news...

This may be an indication that you have put the Intel Management Engine (ME) into a bad state. Go into BIOS Setup and scroll down to the Additional Information entry and press <enter>. At the bottom of the display (you may have to scroll down to see it), you will find a display of the ME firmware version that is running. If this display as blank or the number is 0.0.0.0, this means that the ME is not running. This will, amongst other things, cause the board's Ethernet solution to not operate properly, but this isn't the worst of it.

To (touch wood) fix this issue, proceed with Step 2 of the process that I defined above. After completing this step, check if the ME is running again and a firmware version number is displayed. It one is not, you may have inadvertently - and permanently - screwed up the board.

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

The good news! ME : 8.0.13.1502 ... So it seem that the Intel Management engine is still working correctly ? Well that's what i've seen in the bios at least.

The bad news(well i think it is)... huuu the Onboard Lan Device doesn't have any mac adress aka 00-00-00-00-00-00.

So should i still be fearing for my board ? To be honest, i've already got my dose of adventure and new thing for a lot of time, don't think i'll be updating any Bios ever again after this is over and simply buy a new one in the future lol.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No, that's one that we can fix. I would go ahead and complete the update process and then we'll worry about that issue...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I must say with everything that happened already, i don't really feel at ease anymore with keeping on the upgrade. If the ethernet issue is only because of the mac adress. I'd call it a day fixing it. Well at least im not at ease with the Bios recovery option.

Everything else work fine, the GPU is now working and i didn't have any kind of error or ect either. :/

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Actually, I was sort of hoping that the MAC Address issue would sort itself out on its own as we completed the BIOS update (BIOS Recovery) operations. I can walk you step-by-step through the process if this will help. If you don't want to complete the update process, however, I will need to look into an alternate method for restoring the MAC address (the method I use is even more complicated that BIOS Recovery).

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

That would be great. Though i fear that i might make you loose your time since i've just bought a network card on amazon to make it simple. It would sure be nice knowledge to have though.

Already that i had to alway scan for hardware change in device manager to get it to connect even before i update the Bios, i almost wonder if it didn't simply kill it.(Might just be because intel doesn't seem to do any new drivers for this NIC on windows 10)

I'd sure like to know how. So if you want to. I'd like to know. I just don't want to risk causing more problem touching the bios since everything working fine for now.(Well everything but the Onboard lan lol)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Well, after checking with the team, the method I used to restore the MAC Address previously is the only one that they know of. It is even more complicated than doing BIOS Recovery, requiring you to prepare DOS boot media, run a no-so-user-friendly tool and patch a block of the PHY's EEPROM.

Actually, Intel has never done drivers for Windows 10 on that PHY. It was Microsoft's compatibility drivers that were providing support and my understanding is that some of these can be wiped out by the upgrade to 1809.

After reading this, let me know what you do and don't want to do.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Well for now since i have bought a new ethernet card ----> https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0000TO0BQ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess i'll be waiting for it. If there is really more problem that arise, well i know what i'll have to do (The bios recovery). No point in doing something even harder which i guess might cause more problem if it isn't done correctly.

Anyway since there never was a driver for that PHY. I guess i might just be better with this new ethernet card.

Im sure glad for the help and informations you have shared with me 😃 . I'll save this thread in my favourite for if the need arise.

0 Kudos