cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JScot7
Beginner

DH61CR External BIOS Flashing

Hi all

I recently attempted a BIOS upgrade on my DH61CR motherboard from version 48 to version 99. The cimputer screen went black and the fans stopped spinning but there was power. Eventually, after about 15 minutes, I turned off the computer. However it no longer boots.

I've tried recovering the BIOS with the jumper using a USB drive and a CD. Still, the computer won't boot.

There is no video output from the build in graphics or a video card. There is no POST beep. When I press the power button, the fan spins up, the power light turns on, the fan slows down and spins at a slower speed and the power light turns off.

Since clearing the CMOS (I waited 4 hours without the battery) and recovering it using the jumper won't work, I've got a CH341A USB programmer and clip to try and externally flash the BIOS.

To do this, I need the ROM file for the BIOS. I've searched around on these forums and found that a ROM with a blank MAC address can be sent by PM.

Is this possible? It appears that Kevin_Intel (I think) can work wonders with this on these forums.

Thanks very much,

James

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So, you just happen to have a CH341A USB programmer and clip?

You will get no .ROM file from here.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Al is correct. Intel, due to security requirements, will not provide firmware in ROM packages. Even if they did, this would not help you as the tools necessary to brand the firmware are not available outside the factory. Without this branding, the firmware will not operate properly.

Copying the flash component from another board is strongly discouraged. Because the firmware will be branded for that board and because this branding contains such things as Serial Number, UUID, MAC Address, etc., two boards with the same branding will cause problems for both boards. As I said, since the tools necessay to change this branding are not available outside the factory, you cannot correct this branding. The owner of the original board will not want this occurring, so they should not make their flash image available.

Ok, with this option out of the picture, what do you do? You attempt to reinstall BIOS 99 using the Recovery Method.

...S

JScot7
Beginner

Hi Scott and Al

Thanks for your reply. It looks like I can't do it this way. Whenever I try to recover the board, my USB drive doesn't light up and flash. Do you know why this is? Recovery doesn't seem to work.

Thanks

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Here's some additional guidance that will (hopefully) help:

1. Use a USB 2.0 flash disk; not a USB 3.0 flash disk.
  2. On a separate, Windows-based (not Linux- or MacOS-based) PC, reformat the USB flash disk, using the FAT32 file system, with the Quick Format option disabled. If the FAT32 option is not available. use a smaller USB flash disk.
  3. Copy the BIOS file (BE0099.BIO) into the root folder of the USB flash disk. Do not place any other content on this USB flash disk.
  4. Properly eject the USB flash disk using the right-click Eject option in Windows Explorer or the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media applet in the System Tray. Do not just yank out the USB flash disk.
  5. Power off your DH61CR-based system and disconnect from A/C power.
  6. Remove (yellow/orange) BIOS Configuration jumper from board.
  7. Remove CR2032 battery from board.
  8. Wait 10 minutes.
  9. Install battery back onto board.
  10. Plug the USB flash disk into a (black) USB 2.0 port on the rear panel of the board. Do not use (blue or yellow) USB 3.0 ports and do not use front panel USB ports.
  11. Restore A/C power.
  12. Power on system.
  13. If you do not see the BIOS Recovery progress screens appear on your monitor, wait at least 10 minutes before powering back off.

Hope this helps,

...S

JScot7
Beginner

Thanks!

It looks like I was using a USB 3.0 drive formatted with NTFS!

Thank you so much for your help

James