Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

DH61HO board bios 0813 update using F7 key now its not showing screen

i did bios update to DH61HO board from F7 menu using usb drive first i tried 0816 ver. but it has given error that "Capsule Header Invalid" then i tried old 0813 version it completed successfully but after restarting it does not show any screen but all fans are spinning. i have tried removing/changing ram,removing cmos battery and also tried recovery bios by removing jumper and .bio file in usb drive but it is also not giving sign of revival. Is there any way to fix this problem?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

What BIOS were you running previously? Did you read the Release Notes before you attempted this upgrade (there *were* special instructions to follow depending on what version you had installed previously)?

W​hen you attempted BIOS Recovery, what happened? Did you see anything onscreen? Did the flash drive's LED flash (if it had one)?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

What I suggest you do is use the BIOS Recovery process to reinstall BIOS 813 and then use the F7 method to install BIOS 816. Read on please...

The BIOS Recovery process is documented here: Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions. Please re-read these instructions carefully before continuing. As well, note - and follow - these additional instructions:

1. Use USB 2.0 flash drive. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives.
  2. On a Windows-based PC (NOT a PC running Linux or MACOS), use the standard Windows Format dialog​ to reformat the flash drive using the FAT32 file system (and ONLY the FAT32 file system) and do so with the Quick Format option disabled. If Format app doesn't offer FAT32 as a choice, this means flash drive is too big; get a smaller one.
  3. Copy BIOS file HO0813.BIO onto flash drive. This should be only .BIO file on the flash drive.
  4. Properly eject the flash drive from this PC to ensure no corruption. Do not just yank it out.
  5. Insert flash drive in black USB 2.0 port on the back panel of the board to be updated. Do not use blue USB 3.0 or yellow​ USB Charging ports. Do not use any front panel USB ports.

Hope this helps,

...S​

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

i have already followed these instruction carefully and recovery bios method is also not working

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

i guess i can desolder and flash BIOS flash chip using programmer if i can get binary file for this board if that is the last option.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Flashing the bios is not an option. I would start looking for another motherboard.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Even if you see nothing on screen, does it access the USB flash drive?

When you power on the system, what does the power LED do? Do you see it flash or is it on solid? If you see flashes, what is the pattern?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I'm not sure but led was solid whole the time in all cases

after trying numerous time with every possibility to make work recovery bios method like changing USB port, waiting for long time (~30 minutes), using different USB-drives and using different version of .BIO files

but seeing no response, i have decided to step up the game, downloaded the Binary file of the internet for motherboard and de-soldering the smd BIOS Flash Memory chip using a soldering iron1.jpg

and then reprogramming ic using SBC runnning linux

4.jpg

2.jpg

and then in process of re soldering i have damaged a trace using soldering iron but managed to repair using jumper wire

5.jpg

and then system booted normally as it should be 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

By flashing the bios as you have, using an image from another board, you have created a problem. The other board's branding will be copied. The branding contains Serial Number, UUID, MAC Address, etc., this is a problem as two (or more) boards with same branding will then exist. Those on the net that provide these files are not doing you a favour.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Al is correct. While you can patch the MAC Address with an appropriate tool, your board is going to have the same Serial Number and UUID as this other person's board.

...S

0 Kudos