Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AMerc6
Beginner

DH61ww bios update 0020 to 0023 to 0028 to 0034 to 0035 to 0041 to 0042 to 0044 to 0046 to 0048 to 0099

Hi SIr/Maam

i would like to ask bios update step by step

i would like to know if i need to update version by version and no need to skip version

Thank you

0 Kudos
22 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Follow these steps:

1. If your existing BIOS version is less than 41, update to BIOS 41. Use the BIOS Recovery method.
  2. If your existing BIOS version is less than 48, update to BIOS 48. Use the BIOS Recovery method.
  3. If your existing BIOS version is less than 99, update to BIOS 99. Use the normal F7 method.
  4. If your existing BIOS version is less than 120, update to BIOS 120. Use the normal F7 method.

See the following documents for more guidance on BIOS update methods:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005547.html?wapkw=b... Intel Desktop Boards BIOS Update Instructions

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005630.html?wapkw=bios+recovery Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005859.html Updating the BIOS to Support 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors

Here is some additional guidance that I usually provide. There are very good reasons for the do's and don't's, so read them carefully and follow them closely.

1. Use a USB 2.0 flash disk. Do not use USB 3.0 flash disks!
  2. From a separate Windows-based PC or laptop, format (or reformat, as the case may be) this USB 2.0 flash disk using the FAT32 file system. Do not do this on a Linux-based PC or a Mac! Do not use the Quick option! Do not skip this step!
  3. Repeat these steps for each update operation. Do them on the separate Windows-based PC.
    1. Copy the appropriate .BIO file for this step onto the USB flash disk.
    2. Delete any other files on the USB flash disk (especially .BIO files from previous operations).
    3. Properly eject the USB flash disk before removing it. Don't just yank it out.
    4. Plug the flash stick into one of the (black) USB 2.0 ports on the back I/O panel of the board. Do not use (blue) USB 3.0 ports! Do not use front panel USB ports!

Hope this helps,

...S

ExCoKnight
Beginner

Scott, i notice you used to be very active on these forums, and knowledgeable so I’m very much hoping i may be able to get some assistance from you. I have a DH61WW. Running an i7-2600, with no issues. Trying to add a GPU, and i need to update the BIOS. I have all required files. I have properly formatted a USB 2.0 stick to FAT32 at default allocation size, and properly ejected. When I reboot the system with just the flash drive, video, and the BIOS jumper removed, it does N O T H I N G. never has done anything, tried every usb port. Tried every BIOS file. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. SOS. And to hell with intel for removing every driver from the old boards, I am very disappointed in the difficulty of this.
n_scott_pearson

When you formatted the USB flash drive, did you remember to disable Quick Format?

What BIOS do you currently have installed?

You can get old BIOS releases from the WayBack machine. I curse Intel for this as well. I asked them if they would give be the BIOS build catalog so that I could do this for other people, but they said no.

...S

ExCoKnight
Beginner

Quick Format was indeed disabled. Just acts to do nothing when I remove the jumper. Pretty sad. I think i need the iflash.exe to create a bootable drive, or can I somehow run this BIOS update off of my WinPE? My BIOS is version 0020. I can get the full name if you would like. I have the bios files for 34, 43, 48, 99, and 116
ExCoKnight
Beginner

Just wanted to confirm by the way all of those are .BIO files
AlHill
Super User

All of those are .BIO files.

Here are the complete release notes:

https://web.archive.org/web/20191120145814/https://downloadmirror.intel.com/23393/eng/BE_0120_Releas...

Your bios is 0020?  That is from Feb 2011.  What took you so long to want to update the bios?

Also, you may be looking at a board that is failing.  Back up your data, and start looking for a new system.

AlHill
Super User

And, yes, provide the complete bios string just so we can confirm that you do not have an OEM bios.

n_scott_pearson

BIOS 20...Hhmmm, yea, you may have a BIOS that is so old that its support for BIOS Recovery is lacking. You may have to build a bootable MSDOS flash disk and use the iFlash tool to update it (no, you cannot use WinPE). Apply the BIOS files you have up through 48. You should be able to use BIOS Recovery after that tio get to 88 and then to the final BIOS.

...S

ExCoKnight
Beginner

Do you have a copy of iflash???? I can get the rest working. I seriously just can’t find files.
AlHill
Super User

You know, I am wondering if we have not seen this board before, with the same problems.  Seems like it is getting passed around.

n_scott_pearson

I have attached the iFlash package for BIOS 120 (which you will want eventually anyway).

...S

ExCoKnight
Beginner

You, my friend, are an awesome person for having those files. I will let you know if it works. Thank you very much. Also, the reason board isn’t updated, machine was recycled from an office and i kept the board and found a cpu for it to keep it alive. Pairing with an RX 470 4GB for my wife to play Fall Guys, and emulators.
ExCoKnight
Beginner

Okay. 0020 to 0048, success! 0048 to 009X (can’t remember while typing) success to an extent. Boots, goes into CMOS, wont boot into windows.
ExCoKnight
Beginner

So any advice?? Its running on 0099. I can access BIOS, change all BIOS settings. Intel management shows 0.0.0.0 mac address shows 0.0.0.0 F7 flashes fail, can’t boot on a DOS stick and use iFlash, and BIOS recovery still does nothing for me at all.
n_scott_pearson

Well, I hate to say I told you so, but your ME is screwed up because you didn't follow my previous advice. You *had* to use BIOS Recovery to perform certain steps. Now you are in trouble. Your only hope of recovering is to reinstall BIOS 99 using BIOS Recovery. If it isn't working with a particular flask disk, you need to try a different flash disk.
Sorry, but reality bites,
...S

kmercado16
Beginner

Good day Sir, I having the same issue my BIOS version is 0020 and i cant find all the pre-requisite version of the all the BIOS needed on the internet. im planning to update it up to the latest version need your help, thanks i attached an image of my BIOS versionCurrent BIOS VersionCurrent BIOS Version

crxsx
Beginner

How do I know if I have the mac, S / N and UUID files? I have been trying to update the bios and I have done so many things that I don't know if I still have those things

Adrian39
Beginner

hey good sir i cant open the IFLASH2 file it says
that this file is not compitable with the version of windows youre running.
how can i fix that @n_scott_pearson
n_scott_pearson

iFlash2 is a DOS executable. To use it, you have to boot DOS (one of MSDOS, PCDOS, FreeDOS, etc.) and then run the tool.

...S

n_scott_pearson

Yea Al, it certainly does...

...S