Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ARowe2
Beginner

DH67BL Boot Failure after BIOS Update

After recently new component (GPU), I was unable to get the system to POST with my video card inserted (RX 560). The system worked fine if the integrated graphics were used. In an attempt to get the motherboard to work with the PCIe video card, I went ahead and tried to update to the latest BIOS version, which is 0163. I used the USB method, and the update completed successfully, and the system rebooted itself. After rebooting itself, the system failed to POST.

I've tried the following to get this board to POST:

• Moved BIOS Jumper from "Normal" to "Configure"
  • Removed BIOS Jumper (Recovery Mode)
  • Removed CMOS battery and PSU power and let sit overnight
  • Removed all but one RAM stick
  • Removed ALL RAM sticks
  • Removed GPU completely
  • Unplugged all SATA devices
  • Removed all USB devices
  • Removed CPU
  • Checked this Forum

Nothing seems to work. The system doesn't sound any beep codes and the power LED doesn't flash.

The update said SUCCESSFUL prior to it's self reboot.

Is there something I've missed or is this board dead?

CPU: i7 2600K

0 Kudos
10 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Try to recover your Bios with the BIOS Jumper Removed: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005630/boards-and-kits.html
  2. Download the latest bios here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28273/BIOS-Update-BLH6710H-86A-?v=t . I allways recoment to read the Release Notes before Bios update: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28273/eng/BL_0163_ReleaseNotes.pdf

Leon

ARowe2
Beginner

As I wrote above

I've tried the following to get this board to POST:

• Moved BIOS Jumper from "Normal" to "Configure"
  • Removed BIOS Jumper (Recovery Mode)

As I also wrote above I already have the latest BIOS (0163).. That is what started this whole problem. I'd be happy to revert if I could get that far... I am disappointed that INTEL would release a BIOS for a board they aren't willing to support anymore that then Crashes your working board.... Looking like I'll have to buy a new board ... which is barely worth it for my LGA1155 i7 processor.

If they hadn't put a new BIOS up I would have just accepted the system in the working configuration it was in ... but now it is DEAD.

Thanks but I have already done as you have suggested ... biggest issue it that it does NOT POST at all ... ie it never gets as far as post beep ... not even when No RAM or CPU are installed.

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Yes, you wrote: "Removed BIOS Jumper (Recovery Mode)". However removing jumper only is not bios recovering.
  2. I understood that you have updated bios to version 0163, but you have not described the updated method used. Bios recovery is used in such situation, to replace all part of Bios firmware. If you have performed already Bios recovery with the Jumper removed, please disregard my advice.

Leon

ARowe2
Beginner

Yes I have tried as you have suggested.. but it makes no difference as the board does not POST to be able to re-install or recover

Thanks.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

(We're in the Grasping-at-straws stage...)

When you removed the CR2032 battery, the system was disconnected from A/C power completely, right? If not, the CMOS does not drain. In this case, repeat this again and then try doing BIOS Recovery.

This RX 560 board is (obviously) not supported. You have removed it and are running with Integrated Graphics, right? If not, try removing it and check again.

Have you tried it with a different power supply?

...S

ARowe2
Beginner

(Hoping for successful grasp)

Correct CR2032 removed and power unplugged (overnight actually)

Correct RX560 removed entirely

and in my troubleshooting I did try another Power Supply...

I am slowly resigning myself to the fact that it may be a throw away... disappointing as it ran like a trooper until the BIOS UPDATE (which completed SUCCESSFULLY) then AUTO rebooted and DEAD.

Cheers,

Al.

n_scott_pearson

Was the original update one initiated from Windows? I have long conjectured that the Express BIOS Update methodology can result in (flash) corruption and bricking. I am extremely worried that the instance of this occurring will increase as a result of more folks using IDSA...

...S

RMitr5
Beginner

ARowe2, were you able to resolve this? I am in the EXACT same situation. Board ran rock solid for years. Updated BIOS for compatibility with a newer CPU. Performed BIOS update using F7 method. BIOS said it updated successfully and then rebooted. No display at boot, no beeps, no nothing. Tried the BIOS recovery steps listed above with no change.

n_scott_pearson

You did this with the old CPU installed, right?

RMitr5
Beginner

Yes, that's correct. I made exactly zero hardware changes prior to the BIOS update. The only changes I made afterward (to troubleshoot) were to disconnect all other components and remove the board from the case. I never got the chance to install the newer CPU.