Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MM27
Novice

DH67BL fails to POST after BIOS update

After recently moving my DH67BL system from one chassis to another, and installing a few new components (RAM, GPU), I was unable to get the system to POST with my video card inserted (RX 480). The system worked fine if the integrated graphics were used and the PCIe video card power cables were unplugged. In an attempt to get the motherboard to work with the PCIe video card, I went ahead and tried to update to the latest BIOS version, which is 0163. I used the "F7" method, and the update completed successfully, and the system rebooted itself. After rebooting itself, the system failed to POST.

I've tried the following to get this board to POST:

• Moved BIOS Jumper from "Normal" to "Configure"
  • Removed BIOS Jumper (Recovery Mode)
  • Removed CMOS battery and PSU power and let sit overnight
  • Removed all but one RAM stick
  • Removed ALL RAM sticks
  • Removed GPU completely
  • Unplugged all SATA devices
  • Removed all USB devices

Nothing seems to work. The system doesn't sound any beep codes and the power LED doesn't flash.

I followed the BIOS update instructions EXACTLY as they appeared on the website.

Is there something I've missed or is this board dead?

CPU: i7 2600K

10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, was this graphics card working in the system before you moved it? If this is a new card being tried, it may just be incompatible.

To entry there are no issues with BIOS updates, do the following:

1. Remove graphics card and use onboard graphics.
  2. At POST, use F2 key to enter BIOS Setup.
  3. Scroll down and select Advanced System Information.
  4. Scroll down to bottom of resulting display.
  5. There should be an entry detailing the version of the Intel Management Engine firmware that is running. What is it? [Hint: if blank or 0.0.0.0, ME is not running, this means that you didn't follow the upgrade methodology documented in the BIOS release notes]

...S

MM27
Novice

During the BIOS update, the GPU was inserted into the PCIe slot, but the power cables were disconnected, and I was using the integrated graphics throughout the procedure. As the BIOS is no longer accessible, I am unable to access the Intel Management Engine firmware version using the steps you listed.

In regards to this comment "Hint: if blank or 0.0.0.0, ME is not running, this means that you didn't follow the upgrade methodology documented in the BIOS release notes", I followed the instructions listed on Intel's BIOS update page EXACTLY as they appeared on screen, as stated in my original post.

n_scott_pearson

You followed the individual instructions for updating a BIOS version, but did not take into account the overall requirements regarding what order the BIOS updates needed to be installed in and what installation method particular BIOS update required to install correctly.

Ok, to get out of this state, what you need to do is reinstall this latest BIOS, but this time using the jumper-based BIOS Recovery method. Here are links to documents you should read beforehand:

Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005630.html?wapkw=bios+recovery

Updating the BIOS to Support 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/desktop/sb/6series_update_flo...

(Note: I realize that you have only a 2nd generation Core processor, but upgrading the BIOS to the latest also updates it with support for 3rd generation processors)

...S

MM27
Novice

No where in the documentation (at least that I saw, if I missed it please provide a link) was there any instruction on what order to install BIOS updates. All that was listed was two available methods. No where did it state I was supposed to use one particular method over the other. I followed all the documentation listed on Intel's website and the board died.

As for the recovery method listed in your comment, the motherboard does not respond to any jumper configuration. I have attempted multiple times to follow the recovery instructions but have had no success. All USB ports also seem to no longer function on the board as well. As far as I can tell, the board is completely dead.

n_scott_pearson

Did you read the BIOS Release notes as well?

Regardless, try again, but this time do it as follows:

1. Remove graphics card completely. Connect monitor to back panel port.
  2. Ensure you are using a USB 2.0 or USB 1.1 flash disk. Do NOT use USB 3.0 flash disk.
  3. On a Windows-based PC (i.e. NOT Linux- or MACOS-based), reformat this USB flash disk using the FAT32 file system (i.e. NOT vFAT or exFAT or any of those other not 100% compatible file systems) with the Quick Format option Disabled. Sorry for how long this takes.
  4. Place only the latest .BIO file onto this USB flash disk and in the root folder (i.e. no subfolders).
  5. Properly eject this USB flash disk from file manager or using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media System Tray applet.
  6. Insert this USB flash disk into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Do not use blue USB 3.0 ports and do not use front panel USB ports.
  7. Remove the yellow BIOS configuration jumper from the board.
  8. Power on.

You should see progress indicators onscreen.

Hope this helps,

...S

MMang5
Beginner

Did you get this resolved? I'm having the same problem on a DH67BL board and recovery isn't working. No POST, no video. Thanks

n_scott_pearson

I am sorry but no, if BIOS Recovery is not working, then there is no relief. You have likely permanently bricked the BIOS and/or ME firmware.

...S

MMang5
Beginner

Thanks​

ARowe2
Beginner

Did you ever get this resolved??? I have the EXACT same issue.

n_scott_pearson

There is nothing to resolve. Follow exactly the instructions I've provided in this conversation. If they work, great, you are back in business. If they don't, recycle the board.

...S