Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MSklo
Novice

DH77DF BIOS 0104 disables LAN

Anyone else tried the 0104 BIOS? Seems to disable the onboard LAN port. Even when the port is checked in the settings. Downgraded to 0102 which works, upgraded to 0103 which also works. PCH temp still zero in all BIOS versions.

/Sklod

0 Kudos
31 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Yep same issue, 0104 disabled onboard LAN. Windows did not recognize hardware after update, appeared as unknown device in device manager. Tried updating twice, same result

idata
Community Manager

Yep same issue, 0104 disabled onboard LAN and PCH temp still zero in all BIOS versions.

idata
Community Manager

0105 disabled onboard LAN and PCH temp still zero

DH77DF, SN BTDF21901YW0, Version AAG40293-300

i3-3225

MJans6
New Contributor I

FYI: 0106 disabled onboard LAN as well, didn't check PCH temp though.

MSklo
Novice

Just tried 0107, still disables onboard LAN.

MJans6
New Contributor I

Hi sklod, Alexey, jeffvc,

I'm trying to bring the network adapter issue to Intel's attention.

Did you try to update your DH77DF with the latest 0108 BIOS?

Are you still experiencing the LAN adapter problem?

If you could please reply with your result in this thread:

/message/186259# 186259 http://communities.intel.com/message/186259# 18625

Thanks and regards.

idata
Community Manager

Hello, this has been reported and I will make a note that it occurs with the latest BIOS also.

Regards.

idata
Community Manager

Regarding NIC disconnection problems on DH77DF running Windows 8 64b.

integrated NIC: Intel 82579V

Running on BIOS rev. 0108

- Integrated NIC is disconnected after resuming from sleep - Using latest NIC driver from Intel

- Integrated NIC is disconnected after resuming from sleep - Using standard Windows 8 Intel driver

- Integrated NIC is connected after resuming from sleep - Using standard Windows 8 driver; power saving option disabled!

- sometimes the NIC is disconnected after a cold boot, but its difficult to reproduce this issue.

In all described situations a hardware re-detection from Windows 8 device manager will re-enable the NIC.

Is this the same problem that you people are referring to in this thread?

** UPDATE 25 march 2013 **

downgraded BIOS to version 0103

- problems described still exist on this older BIOS.

i read something in fora that the integrated Intel NIC seems to have problems with auto-negotiation on several network switches; different cable lengths/qualities, etc...

for now i'm trying these settings in combination with my NetGear GS108 1Gbit switch:

- fixed speed/duplex 1000/Full in the adapter properties

- power saving option enabled again. (back to default setting)

Until now (a few hours testing) i did not notice any disconnects anymore.

For testing purposes: i plugged the NIC directly on a Gbit port of my Fortinet firewall instead of my NetGear GS108.

i restored all settings of the NIC back to default:

- Speed/Duplex: auto/auto negotiation

- Power-saving on

I'm still testing...

I'm wondering; IF this problem has anything to do with bad auto negotiation WHY does it completely looses the connection to the NIC itself in the Windows device manager? that should not happen at all, very strange, it's seems to me there is some serious driver/hardware issue with this Intel network interface.

*** UPDATE 26 march ***

On BIOS version 0103 and 0108 i didn't notice any disconnects any more while connected to my Fortinet firewall.

It seems the used switch is influencing the disconnects of the Intel 82579V nic.

*** UPDATE 27 march ***

BIOS 0108: the NIC also disconnects when connected to my Fortinet. The problem occurs on both switches.

idata
Community Manager

I contacted Intel Support and ask them about these disconnects, they gave me this link:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22026&ProdId=3299&lang=eng Download Center

MJans6
New Contributor I

Hi yeroon,

The problem you are reporting is not the same as what's reported here. After 'we' upgraded from version 0103 to 0104 and above we lose our NIC permanently. Not imtermitting or anything it just doesn't work no matter what.

idata
Community Manager

Okay, clear, i didn't read the entire thread, my fault.

Thanks for feedback.

Nevertheless, all DH77DF mainboards seem to have issues with the onboard NIC.

TBaig1
Beginner

@victor_intel,

Is it you who has marked your own earlier post as a "correct answer" to this question?

If so, that is rough. Bad form generally I think, but it wouldn't matter very much if it were true. But it's false.

I doubt I am the only (potential) user waiting for a proper resolution to this thread (and its /message/187191 sister thread).

@Diego_Intel undertook to check status and return with update--two weeks ago. Perhaps he has left the company or been unwell (sorry if so).

In my case, I hesitate to invest time in building a system based on the DH77DF, because the ethernet seems to be so flaky (or is it the 82579V that is flaky, on all the boards where it is installed?).

Simple question (I hope): does the ethernet on the DH77DF function on *any* boards at all, using the latest BIOS 0110?

Less simple: if the ethernet does work on some boards, what makes them (or their setup) different from those on which it ceases to work after BIOS 0103?

It's frustrating (and not your fault, or Intel's) that the users who have reported problems in these two threads have (with very few exceptions) given no details of their hardware or software configurations.

I'd really appreciate further details, so I can decide whether to build with this board or RMA it.

DArce
Valued Contributor III

tjhb, I have just re-changed the status of this thread to reflect the status of the issue.

Concerning the issue being reported here, I have been told that the problem is still under investigation.

I may attach more information for this issue, so, could you please share the following information?

* Board Altered Assembly Number (AA# ):

* Board Serial Number (SN# ):

* Current BIOS version:

* Processor:

* Memory part number and manufacturer:

* Operating System (x32/x64 and Service packs):

* Power Supply wattage and model:

Also some screenshots of the issue. Furthermore, please use the Intel® System Identification Utility using the following site:

http://www.intel.com/support/siu_la.htm?wapkw=%28siu%29 http://www.intel.com/support/siu_la.htm?wapkw=%28siu%29

That will generate an 8 digits code called Report Reference ID. Please let us have that code, this will provide us information on what is being detected on your system.

TBaig1
Beginner

Diego_Intel,

Thanks very much for coming back to this, and for the status update. I'm glad it's still being worked on.

As I mentioned (just briefly), I have until now deferred building a new machine using this motherboard, since I don't want to be stuck with a machine with no ethernet, or have to undo the build and revert to the previous hardware. That's a big hassle and significant lost time (especially with a mini-ITX box, which can be tricky to reconfigure).

But since the support issue is still live (or has come back to life again thanks to you), I will do the new build, test throughly, and report, using your template above.

I'd add two things though:

(1) The graphics controller(s) in use, especially whether a discrete PCIe card or onboard graphics (or both), because it has a bearing on power consumption and also possibly on low-level issues well beyond my understanding.

(2) The device at the other end of the ethernet cable (if any). In my case a router, using DHCP, connected to a fixed-IP cable modem.

If I am totally unaffected by the issue, using BIOS 0110, then I will report that (with all the other details).

In case any other DH77DF users are still keeping up with this thread—whether affected or unaffected—I would politely ask that they also take a few moments to report the pieces of information that Diego_Intel has listed, and their current status with the issue. If it's still causing pain then we need to give Intel's engineers everything they can use to fix it.

Thanks again.

MSklo
Novice

Still broke in BIOS 0110, can we expect this to get fixed?

/Sklod

DArce
Valued Contributor III

Let me check for an update on this and get back to you.

TKlen
Beginner

Hey,

bought this board one month ago. Bios 0110. Having the same issue with the lan connection. i always need to restart my HTPC before i get a network connection.

Is there any Update on the way? this is a serious problem for me. do dont want to start the pc twice every time.

i will send the requested informations the next days.

thanks.

DArce
Valued Contributor III

I have tested with 0106 and 0110 BIOS versions on Microsoft* Windows* 8 x64 and the LAN controller keeps working after these BIOS updates. At this point we may need to have the full system configuration information that has been asked above in order to further investigate.

TBaig1
Beginner

Sorry for coming back so late on this.

Constructing the new build took longer than expected—but Intel components had nothing to do with that. (Almost entirely due to Adobe CS6.)

The long and the short of it is that I have experienced no issues with this DH77DF board. Everything has worked perfectly and consistently, including the ethernet controller.

It's too soon to comment on performance or reliability in detail, but so far I'm very pleased with the board. Perfect for my usage, and I would have no hesitation in recommending this board to others.

Provided that I can only really vouch for this particular AA number (G40293-301), combined with other aspects of the build. So here are my system details.

DH77DF

AA# G40293-301

S/N BTDF307001UF

Batch number CNBT32L107

Date of manufacture 21FEB2013

BIOS (shipped) 0104

BIOS (current; updated before commencing OS installation) 0110

PSU Silverstone 600W (model number invisible without disassembly)

CPU Core i7-2600 SR00B (stepping D2)

GPU Asus/NVIDIA GeForce Titan (GK110, 6GB GDDR5)

RAM 2 x 8192 DDR3-1333 (Strontium manufacture, Micron chips)

OS Windows 7 64 SP1 (no post-SP1 updates installed yet)

Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials version 4.2.223.0

Router TP-Link TL-WR1043ND wireless N (via ethernet)

Intel Chipset software version 9.4.0.1017

Intel ethernet drivers version 18.3

Intel Management Engine driver version 8.1.2.1318

Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers not installed (default Windows 7 SATA drivers)

NVIDIA GeForce driver version 314.09 WHQL

All clocks are factory defaults.

Below the line I have included the Intel System Identification Utility report requested by Diego_Intel. (I notice that it misreports the amount of graphics memory as 1.6GB rather than the full 6GB. Everything else looks right.)

Tim Baigent

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel System Identification Utility Reference Number: 0202 7840

Date Created: Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:42:35 PM

ADVANCEDComputer Manufacturer Intel CorporationComputer Model DH77DFOperating System (O/S) Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1Operating System Build (O/S)(build 7601), 64-bitOperating System (version) 6.1.7601O/S Language1409System RAM 16 GB.NET Framework Version3.5.30729.5420CD or DVD Device AlViDrv BDDVDROM SCSI CdRom DeviceSystem Hard Drive OverviewSystem Total Storage Size:2.0 TBPhysical Drivenot detectedMakernot detectedModelnot detectedBus Typenot detectedLocal Disk not detectednot detectedUsed space:not detectedFree Space:not detectedCD or DVD Device TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-T633C ATA DeviceMemory DetailTotal Physical Memory16 GBAvailable Physical Memory14.5 GBTotal Virtual Memory2.0 GBInternet Browser [1]</span...
TBaig1
Beginner

Additional comments.

(1) My CPU is a 2nd-generation Core i7 (not 3rd).

(2) I am not using the onboard Intel GPU at all.

(3) I didn't mention storage devices. In brief, 2 SATA SSDs, 1 mSATA SSD, 1 HDD, 1 SATA ODD (and the virtual optical drive listed by the SIU report).

(4) I have just seen the new version 18.4 of the Intel ethernet drivers. There are no release notes (yet). I'll install those and report any problems.

@Diego_Intel, how about posting the same list of system details that you asked for above, to show one more example of a build that does not give ethernet problems.

It would be useful if anyone else who has not had problems would do the same. (Not just those who are suffering.) Especially, perhaps, the board's AA# (and possibly batch and build date).

It would be very interesting, for example, if the only boards showing problems had AA# G40293-300 rather than -301.

Tim