cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

DH77EB - Cannot run memory in dual channel mode

Hello all,

I recently purchased this board (DH77EB), Core i3-3225, and two different 8gb DDR3 1600 memory kits (Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb and G.Skill Ares 2x4gb). When trying to run either kit in dual channel mode, I get the three beep error.

Both kits will work in single channel mode (slots 1&3) or alone in slot 1. Both kits will run with the XMP profile in single channel mode. However, I have been unable to get either kit to work in dual channel with any number of different timings at all. The default timing for both kits is 9-9-9-24. I have tried up to 11-11-11-28 with no luck. I have the most recent bios (0098).

I'll admit, I have been out of building machines for about 10 years. I may be missing something. Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Brad,

To assist you further on this matter please let us know the part number for power supply and memory to ensure compatibility and narrow the issue properly.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Dan,

Power Supply: SilverStone Strider Plus ST50F-P 500w

Memory: G.Skill Ares DDR3 1600 F3-1600C9D-8GAO

Let me know if you need more info.

Thank you.

idata
Community Manager

Does anyone think it could be a PSU issue?

Other components include:

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB HDD

Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT180A3K5 180GB SSD

Asus BC-12B1ST Blu-Ray Drive

TP-Link TL-WDN4800 Wireless PCI-E x 1 card

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Tuner PCI-E x 1 card

(2) 80mm case fans and stock Intel CPU Cooler

I have plans to add an NVIDIA GTX 660 at some point in the future. I don't see that being an issue, especially with concern for the memory.

This is not a huge concern seeing as this is mostly an HTPC that will do some gaming as well but any help is greatly appreciated.

idata
Community Manager

That can be caused by faulty CPU installation in which pins are bent.

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/5908/foxconn1.jpg http://imageshack.us/a/img854/5908/foxconn1.jpg

idata
Community Manager

Fantastic! Can't say I'm excited to check that out one way or the other. I'll admit, it's something I could have screwed up. My last build was an AMD Socket 939 setup and this socket/processor setup is alien to me. What are the chances of me having screwed that up given that the whole machine runs fine with both DIMMs in single channel mode?

idata
Community Manager

Hi Brad,

We recommend testing the system out of the chassis on a minimal configuration; remove all memory, power up looking for beep codes and start adding one memory module at the time. As recommended by nails check the processor integration:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-032258.htm Processors — How to install a LGA1156 or LGA1155 processor into the socket

Swap memory modules to ensure they are not defective.

idata
Community Manager

I did tear everything back down and removed the processor. I found one pin that looked like it was out of place. I managed to bend it back to where it was more inline with the other pins. Of course it was in the middle and not on the edge so I had to use a needle and a magnifying glass. After all was finished, I started with a minimal boot configuration and it worked. It continued to work as I added more pieces and appears to be running fine now.

Thank you for the help, fellas.