Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MFraz2
Beginner

DH87MC board POST beeps 4 times then powers off

This is not listed as a POST beep code in the support page at http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-010249.htm Desktop Boards — BIOS beep codes

What does this mean? I have memory and DVI-I connected, but get no video signal. No PCI, PCIe or SATA peripherals are connected.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Mjfrazer, could you please provide me your system information in order to double check if all the components you are using are under specification.

• AA# and serial # of your motherboard:
  • Current BIOS version:
  • Complete Processor model number:
  • Complete memory model:

I would recommend you to test the system out of the chassis with minimal configuration such as Motherboard, processor, power supply, 1 memory stick on DIMM # 1.

Remove the CMOS battery and leave the system without it for about an hour. Then put it back on and restart the system.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-028780.htm?wapkw=clear+cmos+battery# datetime http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-028780.htm?wapkw=clear+cmos+battery# datetime

MFraz2
Beginner

Hi Sylvia,

Motherboard is AA G74242-401, S/N BTMC31800XD4.

CPU is i7-4770, 3.4 GHZ, 8MB Cache, LGA1150, S-spec SR149, S/N 35311245A1712

Bios is inaccessible, it has whatever was shipped on it. Memory is Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C9 - 2 8GB DDR3 DIMMS.

I have tried no memory, DIMM-1 populated and DIMM-1 & DIMM 2 populated.

I have no PCIe or PCI peripherals, no SATA or USB devices plugged in, just a single DVI-I 1920x1080 panel connection.

I have connected only the main 2x12 (V) and 12V 2x2 (L) connectors. The Bios Security Jumper (DD) is set across the two pins closest to the FP USB 3 connector (FF). The board is not in a case, I have jumpered the red pins on the front panel connector (AA) to simulate a power switch. The CPU is installed with the included heatsink and the fan plugged into (O). Nothing else is connected. (All letters in parentheses reference the integration guide labels).

Turning on the power supply results in 4 1-second beeps followed by the board powering itself off although the standby LED (BB) remains on until I turn off the power supply. The red PROC- HOT LED (N) blinks once on power application, remains off for the 4 beeps, and then blinks again when the board powers off. It takes 6 second from turning the power supply on until the motherboard shuts off.

I will remove the battery (G) for an hour and report back.

Thank you for your help.

MFraz2
Beginner

Hi Sylvia,

I removed the Bios battery for the hour and the result was the same.

I tried booting with and without the battery installed. With the Bios security jumper in the 1-2 setting (Normal) and the no jumper setting (Configuration), the board beeps 4 times then powers off. With the Bios security jumper in the 2-3 setting (Lockdown) there are no beeps, the board just powers down immediately after starting up.

Please let me know if you are at a dead end and I will contact the vendor and begin the RMA process.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Before replacing the board, can you provide me the power supply model number?

MFraz2
Beginner

Hi Sylvia,

The power supply is a Seasonic Platinum 400W: The SS-400FL2 model at http://www.seasonicusa.com/Platinum_Series_FL2.htm Welcome to Seasonic USA

The specs are:

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

This power supply is Haswell ready, however if you are able to connect another power supply on you system please do it and let me know the results.

Check if you have another CMOS battery so you can replace the one on this board.

Finally, if the behavior continues, please go ahead and RMA the motherboard.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Have you made any change on BIOS settings, such as disable "Legacy boot" and enable "UEFI boot" ?

Please let me know

MFraz2
Beginner

Hi Sylvia,

I have not seen the BIOS screen yet.

I have also not managed to get my hands on another power supply, cpu or motherboard. The local shop orders parts needed only after a machine is wanted and my neighbours are all laptop and mac types. I have one more avenue to try to get at a compatible power supply before I begin the RMA process. I'll keep you informed.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Ok, please let me know.

MFraz2
Beginner

I tried a second power supply and got the same result. So it is either the CPU or the motherboard. I picked the motherboard and have shipped it back to NewEgg today. If that doesn't work, I will return the CPU.

I figured the CPU has more factory testing and is less likely to be physically damaged on the way here as it was in an undamaged box, unlike the motherboard for which the box suffered some dented corners during shipping.

I won't accept a parcel with a damaged box again, that's for sure.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

I agree with you. Please keep me informed.

MFraz2
Beginner

Hi Sylvia,

I RMA'd the original motherboard and got the same beep code. Since the CPU packaging was not broken, I figured I must be doing something wrong.

I finally got some free time to take thing into a local computer store, and found out what I was doing wrong.

It was the jumper I had put across the power pins of the front panel header. I had assumed that PC power switches were on/off (The last time I built a computer from parts, they still had a turbo switch to go from 33MHz to 8MHz) instead of an impulse switch. Removing the jumper and just touching the pins momentarily to turn the board on is needed.

Anyways, this board is now mounted on the machine it is going to live in and I am looking forward to adding my data acquisition peripheral cards and moving along.

Thanks for your support efforts with this project.

cheers

-mark

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

I am glad to know that you finally got this system to work. Thanks for letting know how the issue get fixed.

Regards.