Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DStra8
Beginner

DH87MC with I5 'Processor HOT LED' lights when machine is cold.

Jump to solution

When the power switch is activated, the red-colored 'processor hot LED' lights-up immediately. The fan does about a quarter-turn of a rotation, and everything stops. While I am sure this is an emergency shutdown of some kind and is working as intended, it is presenting me with a diagnostic issue.

When I take the fan off the processor and touch the cpu's back-plate, it is cold to the touch. The processor is NOT hot.

(I'll probably have to wipe it down later to get any oil from my fingers off and re-apply conductive adhesive because of this action, but I'll do that after I troubleshoot this problem).

I got a PSU tester and I know it doesn't test power under a load, but it does test initial voltages and the supply appears to be testing good. It is also brand new.

Why is this LED lighting up? Why does it say my processor is hot when its cold? From a diagnostic perspective, what is the board trying to tell me and what do I do about it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DStra8
Beginner

Thanks for replying Sylvia but I think I found the problem. The story goes I got 2x cpus and 2x boards - I was building two systems. It was the dh77kc board and the i5-3450processor. System # 1 built ok. System # 2 had a board problem so I sent to get a new one, but the vendor no longer sold that board anymore (my timing was unlucky) so they sent me a newer version of a similar board, which is the board in my question - DH87MC. I just checked the compatibility chart and it no longer supports the I5-3450 processor. Good grief, what a pain the @%!@# %!# %# %^# .

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello CoderDave,

We have seen this behavior and it appears to be related to the power supplies that customers are using.

However, you may want to try flashing the BIOS to the latest version available which is 0047. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22907&ProdId=3603&lang=eng&OSVersion...

Could you please provide me the system configuration?

Processor model number

Power supply model number

Memory model number

There are some additional comments in the following forum, if you want to check it out /thread/42479?start=0&tstart=0 http://communities.intel.com/thread/42479?start=0&tstart=0

Regards.

DStra8
Beginner

Thanks for replying Sylvia but I think I found the problem. The story goes I got 2x cpus and 2x boards - I was building two systems. It was the dh77kc board and the i5-3450processor. System # 1 built ok. System # 2 had a board problem so I sent to get a new one, but the vendor no longer sold that board anymore (my timing was unlucky) so they sent me a newer version of a similar board, which is the board in my question - DH87MC. I just checked the compatibility chart and it no longer supports the I5-3450 processor. Good grief, what a pain the @%!@# %!# %# %^# .

View solution in original post

pkaje
Beginner

Hi Sylvia,

I am facing problem while trying to start my machine. I have assembled my machine with below parts,

1] mother board Intel DH87mc

2] Processor i7-4770

3] RAM transcend DDR3 8gb 1600 Mhz

4] PSU Antec 450W model VP450P

5] HDD sata 1 TB

When I try to start the PC, a red light above PROC HOT label blinks with a low beep and then nothing happens.

None of the fans run. I am not sure what went wrong. Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!