Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BLevy
Beginner

DH87RL & Realtek High Definition Audio HDMI Audio Problem (Windows 10 Professional x64)

Hi Community,

I have recently upgraded my media PC to Windows 10 Professional x64 from Windows 7 Professional x64 and the process was fairly smooth. Unfortunately, I have been unable to succeed trying to configure HDMI audio since the upgrade. This was working perfectly in Windows 7 but upon me upgrading to Windows 10 there appeared to be no drivers for a High Definition Audio Device in my Device manager list.

I went to the Intel Download Center and made sure I was using the latest available drivers and upgraded my BIOS just now to the latest revision but still no success.

To be more precise, I am able to view an image via HDMI and this is my primary video output (TV). I am able to have audio sent via the analogue jacks and the optical jack just fine. Windows and the Realtek software simply do not have support for HDMI audio for some reason.

My Realtek Driver Version is: 6.0.1.7535 (this is newer than the latest version listed on https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24003/Audio-Realtek-ALC-Audio-Driver-for-Windows-8- Intel's site by a significant margin and appeared to ship with Windows 10).

What else should I check on my end to make sure it is simply not a misconfiguration by me? Has anyone else had a similar issue and managed to resolve it?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
FDros
Beginner

I have the same problem with my Dell XPS L702X: The HDMI sound driver worked perfectly with Windows 7, but now I have only two options: the speakers of the laptop or the digital optical output.

BLevy
Beginner

Indeed, I am lucky that I had a spare optical cable in the attic or I would not have audio right now. Is this a problem with Intel drivers or Realtek and when will a fix be made available?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Here's a link for downloading v6.0.1.7553 of the Realtek Audio Driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24899/Audio-Realtek-ALC-Audio-Driver-for-Intel-NUC https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24899/Audio-Realtek-ALC-Audio-Driver-for-Intel-NUC

I am running it on my DZ87KLT-75K and it seems to work just fine (though I am not using the HDMI output).

...Scott

BLevy
Beginner

Hi Scott, this appears to be the driver of the Intel NUC. Will it also work for my desktop board? I am not sure what audio chip the NUC uses or whether it is the same or compatible with the one on my desktop board.

n_scott_pearson

The Realtek driver packages are cumulative and include support for many other Realtek audio codecs. I have verified that the codec on my DZ87KLT-75K is supported. I believe that the codecs on the other 8-Series Desktop Boards should be supported as well. I did this using Windows 7, but the package says it supports Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 as well, so should be ok.

Yes, you are indeed downloading from a NUC link. Why? Because the package has only been verified by Intel with the active NUC products. They are not going to release the package for a board on which it has not being formally tested. Does this means that there is a risk of it not working? Certainly. It may not have support for some codecs -- but, I do know that, if you attempt to install the package on a board with an unsupported codec, the installer is going to realize this and terminate the install process.

Look, as I have said in other discussions, Intel has terminated the Desktop Board product line. All boards have been end-of-lifed. Intel will provide warranty service for all boards that are under warranty, but this means bug fixes in their BIOS and not the development of new capabilities. Windows 10 support was never part of the POR for any of the Desktop Boards, so Intel will not be doing any work to verify that the emerging Windows 10 driver packages work properly on these boards. All is not lost, however. We know that the driver packages for standard Intel silicon components - even older generations - are available and have been validated on multiple platforms. You should be able to use these packages without concern. For non-Intel silicon (such as the audio codec), we can look for updated drivers from these silicon suppliers - and, where somewhat in common with other Intel products (like the NUCs) you can get the drivers off of the Intel site.

Again, we are on our own here. You can stick with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 or you can take the chance and transition to Windows 10 using that driver packages you can get. Intel won't be helping here, but there are folks (like me) in the Community that can...

...Scott

BLevy
Beginner

Hi Scott,

This is surprising to hear given that my board was released only two years ago. I would think five plus year old boards should not expect driver updates for new OS releases but it is very uncommon to expect hardware upgrades every two years for consumer equipment. Also, given that this is basic functionality that worked in previous Realtek drivers I cannot imagine that the problem requires a lot of work to correct or that verifying it with this board would take much work.

Is there a statement from Intel verifying that they will not offer driver upgrades for their desktop boards somewhere?

n_scott_pearson

Levy,

Is there a statement saying that Intel won't offer upgrades? I don't know; I haven't looked for one. Do you know of a statement that says they will? I don't think you'll find one.

All you need to do is apply a little logic and you will come to the same conclusions that I did. Intel has exited the desktop motherboard business. They are not producing any more boards. All of the existing boards not in end-user's hands (or held by Intel for warranty replacement purposes) are somewhere in the supply chain and off Intel's books. When the supply chain is exhausted, that's it; there won't be any more. We have already seen Intel make the decision to not spend the money necessary to upgrade the 8 Series board BIOSs with support for the Haswell Refresh processors. There simply wasn't enough benefit for doing so. Do you see a benefit that would compel Intel to spend a not-insignificant amount of money adding support for and fully validating Windows 10 on these boards? I don't.

As I have said before, when it comes to Intel silicon, Intel is going to spend the money necessary to upgrade their drivers (and installers) to support Windows 10. Since the bulk of the drivers required by the desktop boards are for Intel silicon, this means that these drivers are going to (eventually) be available. In addition, where the non-Intel silicon used is in common with other Intel products (the NUCs have essentially the same requirements), the drivers are also going to be updated. As an example, look at the audio situation. Most of the NUCs also use Realtek codecs. As a result, they are going to require Realtek to provide Windows 10 drivers and will validate them on these NUCs. Because Realtek has a single installation package that covers a great many of their codecs, support for those used on (at least) the 8 Series boards should be included. All that said, I rather doubt that you will see these updated driver packages made available via the specific download pages for the desktop boards. Intel will not post drivers for a board if these drivers have not been specifically validated on that board. Doing so would create a liability issue for Intel. Bottom line, we will have to use alternative locations to obtain these drivers and we will be on our own with regards to making them work.

...S

BLevy
Beginner

Hi ricardog_intel,

My PC is completely up to date with drivers and Windows updates. I checked this before posting here. I manually installed the Intel graphics drivers you linked to and the HDMI audio capability was restored. Thank you for the information.

Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

levyr,

Which is the processor model the system is using? This motherboard requires a Processor with Intel Graphics Technology.

Another suggestion is to make sure your pc is up to date using windows update. For windows 10 the drivers will be available through windows updates.

BLevy
Beginner

Hi ricardog_intel,

My PC has a http://ark.intel.com/products/75048/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz 4th generation i5-4670K which I think has Intel Graphics Technology.