cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Armin
Novice

DH87RL and i7-4770

Hi,

I have been running the DH87RL with a Pentium G3220 very stable for some years. Now I wanted to upgrade to a i7-4770 but when started there is no video output at all.

I have already removed any non-necessary device just one 4GB RAM module at 1333 MT/s and the new CPU with fan.

When I switch on the power the enhanced power LED starts to blink the CPU fan starts rotating, but no video output and no power on the USB bus (my keyboard stays off).

I removed the MB-battery for more than 1 hour - no progress.

I changed the power-supply from a "be quiet! System Power 7 300W" to a "be quiet! Pure Power L8 300W 80+ Bronze".

Could this be to weak? Even if nothing else is attached?

Best regards
Armin

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Update your bios with the G3220 .

Also, the i7-4770 could be faulty.

Armin
Novice

Sorry, forgot to mention, I am on the latest available BIOS 332.

Armin
Novice

The i7-4770 is working fine on a ASRock Z87 Killer motherboard with a 1000W power supply.

Armin
Novice

In the meantime I installed the CPU i7-4770 in an ASUS board (Z97-A) with the same be quiet power supply as mentioned before. And it is working like a charm.

So the problem really seems to be the DH87RL. Why is the i7 on the list of compatible CPUs (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop-boards/DH87RL.pdf)?

Has somebody a working installation?

Armin
Novice

Now I tried to install an i5-4460. Yes I know it is not in the list (but the i5-4440 which seems very similar).

Anyway completely the same behavior. No graphics output via HDMI, keyboard (via USB) does not get power at all.

Is there anybody @intel that can help?

AlHill
Super User

Do you have an add-on (nvidia or amd) card installed?

AlHill
Super User

Also, you should NEVER use a processor that is not on the supported list.  If it is not supported by the bios, you could cause yourself problems.

And, after reviewing this thread, I am of the opinion that your board may have a problem.  Probably time to find the recycle bin.

Armin
Novice

As I wrote, there is nothing installed except the CPU and 1 memory module.

Armin
Novice

The board is definitely not for the recycle bin as it works well with the Pentium G3220.

It is just that it does not work with i7-4770 though this processor is in the compatibility list and it is NOT faulty at all (checked in two other different mainboards).

AlHill
Super User

Then, the board has failed.   Replace the board.

Armin
Novice

Dear Doc, thank you for your advices but

I DO NOT WANT TO TRASH THE BOARD

It is working perfectly with the G3220. All I want to find out is why it is not working with the i7-4770 although it is in the compatibility list and after I tried everything I know to make it work. So I do not need another hint that the board or the CPU are faulty. THEY AREN'T.

AlHill
Super User

I cannot tell you why.  I have a bunch of the 87 series chipset boards.  I run the i7-4771 and i7-4770K on them, and have never had a problem.  No, I do not have your specific board.  However, with your using processors that are not meant for the board/bios, it is not beyond reason that you have caused the problem. 

If you want to keep the board, fine.   Use the G3220.

Armin
Novice

If I wanted to run it with the G3220 I would not have bought the i7-4770. I have chosen this CPU because it is in the compatibility list.

And therefore I ask intel how to run the i7-4770 on the DH87RL.

AlHill
Super User

The board and processors are discontinued.  The best you will get is peer support (people like me).

You say the board is fine with one processor.

You say the processors are good, as tested in other systems.

You say that you tried processors that are not on the compatibility list, which is a BAD thing to do.

You say you the bios is up-to-date.

The board is supposed to run the processor and the processor is supposed to run on that board.  Either the processor or the board are faulty.

To me, there is nothing that can be done here.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I suggest that you put the i7-4770K into the system and then do a from-scratch install of Windows. 

...S

HrS
Beginner

Hi, I have an dh87rl mbo and a cpu intel I7-4770k.The problem is...in Bios (version 0332 -2018) cpu apear with 3.0ghz and in turbo only with 3.2ghz. Any ideas?
P.s Sorry for my english
Armin
Novice

As soon as I put the i7-4770 into the BM I do not even get to the BIOS, no graphics output, no power on the USB. Just blinking of this power-LED.