Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aerse
Beginner

DH87RL beeps twice after change from legacy to uefi

Hello there,

did have a lousy weekend due to a failure of this board Bios 3,17

got this board just yesterday and installed a GTS 450 Graphics, i5-4570, 8gb kingston valueram and some other components.

Everything worked until I made some BIOS settings changes (from legacy boot back to uefi boot, perhaps i deactivated internal graphics in advance)

after softreset, screen blanked and beeped twice two times. no chance to get in bios, no chance by reseating card, not even without card and internal graphics only.

So I tried to reset bios, but I think that is not working by putting out the battery.

So i tried this Bios Jumper to reset:

-> Screen didn't blank any more, short time to see the POST screen, but without ability to get in the bios.

Screen printed that I [1] suppress this message [2] delete passwords [3] some information about TPM

So hopefully hard resetted after putting back the jumper

-> beep beep , screen blank

so what to do?

Screen blanks as soon as i put in the jumper again, without it i do not have a chance to alter bios settings...

0 Kudos
45 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Arseerse, please try the following steps, since we need to be able to go to BIOS in order to chance the settings.

• Could you please remove the video card and use the onboard video?
  • You can try a BIOS recovery and install the previous BIOS version 0314. You would need to remove the BIOS jumper and try to roll back to that version. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-023360.htm Desktop Boards — Instructions for Recovery BIOS update

I would recommend you to troubleshoot the system out of the chassis with minimal configuration such as Motherboard, processor, power supply, 1 memory stick.

aerse
Beginner

Hello Sylvia,

I removed everything already! Minimal config.

Starting without video card ends in 2-beep loop.

Starting with video card (I tested 2 different) ends in 2-beep loop.

Starting with/or without videocard and having bios jumper off ends up in this

"detected security jumper removed" message on the screen.

but i cannot interact with the computer, Bios is not accessible when pressing F2

I only can reboot ctrl-alt-del

regards

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

@Arseerse, can you please remove the CMOS battery and leave the system without it for about an hour. You should be able to access the BIOS after that. Then, do a BIOS recovery to version 0314.

If all these steps do not resolve the issue, you would need to RMA the board.

@intel_haswell, are you running BIOS version 0317 also? Try doing a clear CMOS and let me know.

URuec
Beginner

Hello Sylvia,

I tried the whole procedure like in /thread/44769 https://communities.intel.com/thread/44769 with 10 hours without battery an unplugged but nothing helps.

What have done before:

After my first start I updated the BIOS from 317 to 320. Then I deactivated the internal graphic and from this point I only get 2x2 beeps without any graphical output. I only got an output when the BIOS jumper was removed but in this mode I wasn't able to get in the BIOS setup.

I read some test and it looks like it is a very good board but this problem must be solved in a future BIOS version. The ability to deactivate the internal graphic should be removed. I think the options initial graphic to PEG and automatic disable of internal graphic when PEG is plugged is enough.

Today I sent it back to the shop and I hope I will get a new one.

Which BIOS version should I use?

Which combinations of bios options are similar dangerous?

Bye for now

aerse
Beginner

okay,

next board on the way back to intel.

i got a new board and installed it, the old one is on the way back to the distributor,

i installed windows, everything worked fine.

I did two bios changes: activated intel RST.

and after installing windows i deactivated legacy boot in order not to wait for cd-rom drive and restarted:

ENDED UP in 2-beep LOOP!

no chance to erase cmos even with removing battery.

so i ordered the third board just now and this one will go back to intel

so DO NOT DEACTIVATE ANYTHING IN BIOS WITH THIS BOARD!!!

URuec
Beginner

Hi,

which Bios Version was installed on your 2nd board?

It's very difficult to let the bios untouched to avoid the 2 beep loop.

@intel: please check that back.

aerse
Beginner

its again 317!

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Guys, we already notified our engineering team about this situation. As soon as I receive any information I will provide the answer on this thread.

Would you please fill in the following information:

• AA number and Serial number of the motherboard:
  • Processor model:
  • Memory manufacturer and part number:
  • Wattage and model of the power supply installed:
  • Model number of the PCI-e devices installed:
  • Any additional peripherals:

You may want to check the following thread from a user that was having the same behavior and he got it fixed /thread/44769 https://communities.intel.com/thread/44769

URuec
Beginner

Hi Sylvia,

the thread is the same I posted in my 2nd answer with not effect.

But here the facts:

• AA number and Serial number of the motherboard: I sent it back, it was a bulk DH87RL
  • Processor model: i7-4771
  • Memory manufacturer and part number: Kingston hyper X 4x 4gb KHX1600C903K4/16GX
  • Wattage and model of the power supply installed: 500W Cooler Master
  • Model number of the PCI-e devices installed: only a gigabyte 670 GTX and 460 GTX to test
  • Any additional peripherals: none
aerse
Beginner

processor i4570

kingston ddr3-1600 kit

PS: Triathlor ETL300AWT

with no pci-e devices

but that all has nothing to do with this bug imho.

JKeit2
Beginner

I'm also having the same problem. Changed a setting in the BIOS and now i'm getting the two beeps, a pause, and then two beeps again.

AA: G74240-401 S/N: BQRL328000J1

i5-4670

G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

650W Corsair TX650

ASUS Radeon HD7990

URuec
Beginner

Hello Silvia,

the 2nd board has arrived. I flashed Bios 320. Install W8 with UEFI Mode and everything looks good. But I hesitated to change LEGACY support or deactivating internal graphics. Is there somthing new about this BIOS problem? Will be an corrected Version in the future? Have you recognized and reproduced the problem?

It looks like it is an general problem because I read many post from other users in other sources.

Bye for now.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

We were able to replicate the issue customer are experiencing and we already notified the Engineering team about it. We are waiting for a resolution.

TForm1
Beginner

Has this issue been completely resolved in the latest BIOS release (BIOS Version 0322 - RLH8710H.86A.0322.2013.1003.1952)?

Here are the release notes: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23341/eng/RL_0322_ReleaseNotes.pdf http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23341/eng/RL_0322_ReleaseNotes.pdf

They look promising, but I was wondering if any of the Intel support folks that post here have had a chance to validate it, yet.

kwars
Beginner

does not fix anything...

just flashed the 322 bios, have a running windows 8.1 UEFI install, tried to enable secure boot in bios, after exiting the bios, system does not boot anymore just beeps, no grapics output...

only way to recover for me was to remove the security jumper... try to boot... get stuck on bios screen... power off... place security jumper on normal, normal boot and can get in bios...

... i had a lot of crappy boards to deal with in my life already, but never got a board the has such a broken recovery procedure... i can only say: intel we won't miss you in the motherboard business, if you produce more boards like this one...

TForm1
Beginner

I can now confirm what krikkit says above. This issue is not resolved with this latest BIOS release (322). Perhaps this issue hasn't received enough priority with the Engineering Team, yet.

I have DH87RL+i7 4770+16GB RAM+nVidia GeForce GTX Titan.

I think with the press that this is now receiving, Intel may wish to re-assess addressing this in cooperation with their other partners sooner. As usual, the press is just re-hashing what has already been said here and getting facts wrong, but this is still another unfortunate blemish on the whole Haswell and Windows 8.1 marketing push.

Here's some of the press attempting to cover this:

The comments on these articles are very telling, as well. It is certainly very clear this is not any sort of isolated issue.

Intel, since many have already purchased the product and would like it to work as documented, when can customers expect that this issue will be addressed?

URuec
Beginner

Hallo Sylvia,

I have exactly the same Problem. Is there really no way to activate the internal graphics when it was disabled and the PCIe card were removed?

I bought this board today and I'm a little bit frustrated.

Greetings Udo.

kwars
Beginner

i have the same effect after disabling "legacy boot" the System does not boot any more, only 2 beep no grapical Output anymore...

the only way to recover i found so far:

1. get the oldest Intel bios (RL0314.BIO) and put it on an usb Flash drive (in the root Directory)
  2. power off System and remove bios security jumper
  3. with the usb Flash attached power on the System... the bios gets downgraded... and afterwards the System does boot normally
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Guys, you may want to try the following troubleshooting provided by a customer in the following thread. https://communities.intel.com/thread/44769 https://communities.intel.com/thread/44769

We were able to replicate every step he did on the system, at the end after 8 to 10 hours without the CMOS battery, we turned ON the system and we were able to access BIOS and reset default settings.

If these recommendations worked for you, I would suggest you keep the integrated graphics "enable" while we got this issue fixed.

URuec
Beginner

Hi Sylvia,

/thread/44769 https://communities.intel.com/thread/44769 didn't work for me. I tried it with 16 hours without battery and power.