Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MKleu
Beginner

DH87RL - fan control does not work

Jump to solution

Hi, there,

I've built a new system with above mentioned board. Most of the things are doing well, except the control for rear and front fan:

The CPU fan speed is around 557 rpm (with idle Windows desktop) - it will raise, if there's something to do for the cpu

The rear and front fan display switches between approx. 800 and 20.000 rpm - the fans itself turning silently at very low speed (even if there's cpu load)

The fans are connected with 3 pins.

Board Model: DH87RL

Board Version: AAG74240-403

BIOS-Version: RLH8710H.86A.0325.2014.0417.1800

Any ideas whats going wrong here?

Regards,

Martin

Edit: For testing purposes, I've put an old 4-pin-fan in, and it works like a charm - maybe the front/rear fans have to have a 4-pin connector, too?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Martin, I am sorry to hear that you are having this kind of problems on your motherboard.

The following article will give you information about this behavior, since it is totally expected when using a three wire fan connector.

The 4th pin is the one in charge of the fan control; therefore it is not working when using those fans on your chassis. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-012074.htm Desktop Boards — Three-wire and four-wire fan connectors

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Martin, I am sorry to hear that you are having this kind of problems on your motherboard.

The following article will give you information about this behavior, since it is totally expected when using a three wire fan connector.

The 4th pin is the one in charge of the fan control; therefore it is not working when using those fans on your chassis. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-012074.htm Desktop Boards — Three-wire and four-wire fan connectors

Regards,

View solution in original post

JBish3
New Contributor II

Hi Martin, you are facing this problem because you have 3 pin FAN SINK. Please note for fan control you must have 4 pin FANSINK. Because the 4 pin is responsible for carying the FAN speed. details given below

PinFour-wire fan support1Ground2+12 V3FAN_TACH4FAN_CONTROL

for resolving your issue buy a 4 pin FANSINK.

Thanks & regards,

Jitendra Bisht

MKleu
Beginner

Hi, Jithendra,

I knew, the CPU fan is only supported if connected with 4 pins, but I thought the rear and front fan are supported if 3 or 4 pins.

Thanks anyway,

Martin

MKleu
Beginner

Hi, Sylvia,

thanks for this very fast response - now, everything is clear. I've misinterpreted the 3pin/4pin option. I'd call it p.e.b.c.a.k. ;-)

Best regards,

Martin