Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KRybc
Novice

DH87RL pci express x16 slot compatible but x1 slots not compatible with my cards.

I have got intel DH87RL motherboard (latest bios 330) with 3 x PCI-E-x1 slots and 1 x PCI-E x16 slot. Recently, I purchased two Startech usb adapter cards PCI-E x1. These cards work perfectly with x16 slot but when connected to x1 slot the computer will not boot, and will reboot constatnly without any visual nor beep feedback. It's even impossible to enter the bios. Please help me.

I need to use as many cards as possible so one card in pci-e x16 slot is not enough for me.

10 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Try to disable PCIE ASPM support in MB BIOS (without cards, of course). Also disable a USB boot optimization.

KRybc
Novice

Hello JFFulcrum ,

I disabled PCIE ASPM earlier and it didn't help to solve the problem. There is no "USB boot optimization" option in my BIOS so I turned off "boot from usb devices" option and it didn't resolve the issue neither.

Regards

Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello KacperPL,

The BIOS can automatically configure PCI Express devices. PCI Express devices may be onboard or add-in cards. Autoconfiguration lets a user insert or remove PCI Express cards without having to configure the system. When a user turns on the system after adding a PCI Express card, the BIOS automatically configures interrupts, the I/O space, and other system resources. Any interrupts set to Available in Setup are considered to be available for use by the add-in card.

Please take into consideration the supported expansion capabilities on this Board are:

• One PCI Express x16 3.0/2.x/1.x add-in card connector.

• Three PCI Express x1 2.x/1.x add-in card connectors.

• One PCI Express Full-/Half-Mini Card slot with support for mSATA.

You may get relevant information from here https://downloadmirror.intel.com/22679/eng/DH87RL_TechProdSpec03.pdf https://downloadmirror.intel.com/22679/eng/DH87RL_TechProdSpec03.pdf

Regards

CaesarB_Intel.

KRybc
Novice

Hello Cesar,

Thank you for reminding specification of the motherboard.

Model name of my cards is: Startech PEXUSB7LP. Their interface is PCI Express revision 1.1 so they should theoretically be compatible with three x1 2.x/.x connectors.

Regards

Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello KacperPL

In this particular case although they should be theoretically compatible with three x1 2.x/.x connectors, I suggest contacting the motherboard manufacturer in order to get more information about the PCI Express compatibility on that board.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

KRybc
Novice

Hello Caesar B_Intel,

I thought that you are from Intel..:) If not, could you please give me some contact to Intel support where I can describe my issue ?

Regards,

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

He meant to say 'board', not 'motherboard'... Contact the Startech folks and see what they have to say

Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello KacperPL

I am sorry for the confusion, as N.Scott.Pearson stated I meant 'board', not 'motherboard'.

Please contact the Startech* and let us know the results.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel .

KRybc
Novice

Hello Cesar Badilla,

Startech Support's first recommendation was to disable all built in USB ports to check weather they cause conflict, but it didn't help neither.

So they recommended me to look for some other card with a different chipset or USB hub.

Part of their explanation is as follows:

"Although incompatibilities of this sort are rare, and we attempt to test our devices with as many different PCs/configurations as possible, we unfortunately do see issues of this nature from time to time. Although we have no other reports of similar behaviour as it relates to this adapter, the manner in which the adapter causes a reboot loop is somewhat indicative of this type of issue."

Thank you all for your time. It seems to me that this cards will not work with my motherboard in any way. I will have to buy either different cards or different motherboard.

Have a nice day!

Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello KacperPL,

You are welcome. Thanks for sharing this information here.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.