cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DGuth
Beginner

DH87RL switches on and off all the time

Hello,

I'm using a PC with a DH87RL-Mainboard since ~3 years.

It worked until yesterday... now I have a problem:

When I connect the PC to mains, the Mainboard switches the computer on, it stays 10 Seconds on (no Video till then) and it turns itself off again (AC-Power-Loss-Restart is enabled in CMOS-Setup).

It stays 4 seconds off, then the process starts from the beginning (10 Seconds on).

I've tried already disconnecting all SATA-Devices and the Memory. When booting without memory installed the computer beeps (3 beeps, pause).

I have no additional video card installed - I'm using the on board video.

I've tried also to connect another fan to the CPU fan connector, if the fan speed signal is the problem - with no effect.

When the computer turns off (for the 4 seconds mentioned above) the "Power Fault LED" on the Mainboard does blink two times green until the computer starts again.

My computer consists of the following components (no change in the last few months):

- Intel i5 4570

- Kingston KVR16N11S8K2/8

- be Quiet 300W Power supply

- Samsung SSD, Hitachi HDD, TEAC DVD-RW

Someone with any hints for me?

Thanks in advance.

Rgds

Dieter

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

First recommendation: try a different power supply; yours may be failing...

idata
Community Manager

Hello:

Thank you very much to N.Scott.Pearson for the information posted above.

To coyote_de:

As it was mentioned above, if you have the option to test a different power supply, please do that, because the problem seems to be related to that.

After trying that if the problem persists, try to test the PC with minimal configuration, using just one memory stick and no hard drive, just to check if the PC keeps rebooting by itself under that scenario.

Please let me know the results of trying the steps above.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

DGuth
Beginner

Hello Scott,

Hello Alberto,

I've tested now another Power Supply, the computer doesn't change its behaviour... only two times a was a normal boot up possible, but most of the time the same error: the System is turning on and off itself all the time.

I've tested that with all storage disconnected and one memory stick - I've also exchanged the memory stick for testing purposes and used different memory slots - always the same error.

I think the mainboard is dead...?

Rgds

Dieter

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I hate to say it, but it looks like something has failed either on the board, in the processor or in the memory. Since the memory is the easiest to replace, can you borrow some memory somewhere to test this?

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello N. Scott Pearson:

Thank you very much to for the suggestion posted above.

To coyote_de:

Thank you very much for providing those results, yes, most of times this kind of problem is related to the board, so, if you can try the suggestion provided by N. Scott Pearson will be great, if not and if the motherboard is under the 3 years of warranty period, then the next step will be to replace it.

If by any chance, the board is under warranty and you are interested in the replacement, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, phone or online support, you just need to select motherboard on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12

Here is the link to check if the board is under warranty, or if you have the proof of purchase the warranty will be valid based on the date on it:

https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo?lang=en-US https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo?lang=en-US

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

idata
Community Manager

Hello coyote_de:

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto