cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HShio2
Beginner

DN2800MT - system hangs at POST code EB

Dear community,

I have a DN2800MT mainboard with latest BIOS (MTCDT10N.86A.0166.2013.0427.1030)

I bought a mini-pcie wlan / bluetooth combo card ("azurewave aw-nb037h") and

the system won't boot / hangs at POST code "EB" when this card is installed.

(I noticed previous BIOS versions had a similar issue with scanners.)

As "EB" seems to indicate a problem with "USB Legacy", i disabled this option in the BIOS

when the card was unplugged. Booting with this option disabled and the card plugged

also leads to a system hang but "only" for about 1-2 Minutes.

Running "lspci" in linux adds the following line when the card is plugged:

02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

The output of "lsusb" however did not change. There is no sign of the bluetooth component of this combo card.

Which information do i need to provide to get this problem fixed?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
HShio2
Beginner

Edit:

Disabling "USB Legacy" did NOT help. It's just a random behaviour. Sometimes it does hang for ever, sometimes "only" for some minutes.

The output of "dmesg" reveals that the bluetooth-part might be an USB device. But it seems like detecting it is broken:

[ 5.225459] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd

[ 20.321709] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110

[ 35.521838] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110

[ 35.737614] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd

[ 50.833872] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110

[ 66.034014] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110

[ 66.249782] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 4 using uhci_hcd

[ 76.646930] usb 1-1: device not accepting address 4, error -110

[ 76.758817] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 5 using uhci_hcd

[ 87.155974] usb 1-1: device not accepting address 5, error -110

EDIT2:

The card workfs without problems when plugged into my laptop.

I guess it's a BIOS issue?

additional tests

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Kazu,

Could you please provide me with the following information?

• Which BIOS version did the system had before you updated it to the latest one 0166?
  • Have you tried to disable the "boot to network" on the BIOS?

Regards,

Sylvia L.

HShio2
Beginner

Hello Sylvia,

my previous BIOS version was 0164. But, I updated before buying the card because I had some minor issues and hoped the update would fix them (they were related to linux, not to the BIOS). So, I don't know whether the card works with the old 0164.

Boot to Network (and Boot to USB) were disabled when testing the card.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Kazu,

BIOS version 0163 "Fixed issue where system hangs at POST code EB when using a scanner", you may want to try rolling back to that version using the BIOS recovery method. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3382&DwnldID=22295&keyword=Intel+Desk... Download Center

The instructions will be found here: http://Desktop Boards — Instructions for Recovery BIOS update Desktop Boards — Instructions for Recovery BIOS update

Then, test the system after that and let me know.

Regards,

Sylvia L

HShio2
Beginner

Hello Sylvia,

I just downgraded using the provided instructions. The BIOS is now "MTCDT10N.86A.0163.2012.1204.1715".

The problem stays the same. BIOS hangs at "EB" and if it boots after 2 minutes, linux does not detect the device and shows

the aforementioned errors in "dmesg".

I also tried to enable "USB Optimization" for faster booting. When enabled, the BIOS does not hang, but linux still shows the same errors in "dmesg".

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Kazu,

Are you able to try the mini-pcie wlan / bluetooth combo card on the other PCI Express Half-Mini card slot just for testing?

let me know!

HShio2
Beginner

Hello Sylvia,

I tried the card in both slots, with the same result.

HShio2
Beginner

Hello Sylvia,

are you sure replacing the mainboard will solve my problem?

Other cards and usb-devices work without any problems.

It's only this combo-card that does not work as expected.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Kazu,

Is the wlan/Bluetooth card being recognized on the BIOS? Are you able to see it under the configuration tab>PCI/PCIe add-in slots?

Another recommendation could be to disconnect the CMOS battery for at least an hour and remove the power source complete from the board.

The, you can try updating the BIOS to version 0164 and test the card again.

It could also be a compatibility issue between the board and the device. So let me know have you ever used this card on your board?

For any chance, do you have any other PCIe product that you can try on the board just to discard the PCIe is not defective?

Let me know.

HShio2
Beginner

Hello Sylvia,

I just flashed BIOS version 0164. Unfortunately the problem still exists. CMOS resetting didn't help either.

As mentioned before, the combo-card uses the pcie (for wifi) and usb (for bluetooth) part of the slot. The pci-express part (wifi) works (if the bios boots after 2 minutes...). It's the usb-part that does not work (see aforementioned kernel errors). So I guess it's a compatibility issue with the usb (bluetooth) part of the combo-card. I bought this card after I bought the board and the card never worked on this board.

The card though worked without any problems when plugged into my laptop. Both wifi and bluetooth. Using my laptop, the bluetooth shows up in the list of usb-devices in linux and does not throw kernel errors as it does when plugged into the DN2800MT. Also I tested another wifi-only card and it worked with the DN2800MT.

That's why I think it's a compatibility issue with the USB-part of this card.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Everything is pointing to be a compatibility problem with that particular product.

Regards.

HShio2
Beginner

Can my problem be solved by e.g. intel providing a BIOS-update?

(just like the issue of EB-hang with scanners in BIOS-version 0163)

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Kazu,

I'm going to send your request to the appropriate group.

Regards.

GPicq
Beginner

Hi,

I'am digging every where I can because I have the same issue on a 2700DC with WD external HDD.

I will try a firmware update of the HDD and/or BIOS settings.

Sometimes hangs forever, sometimes boot after some minutes (never the same duration).

It's a crazy bug.

Edit:

FYI: I fixed with BIOS features USB optimization. This way BIOS does not cares any more about my USB HDD drives. Fortunately OS does.

DFrie2
Beginner

I've got the same problem with the hang at the EB post message.

All devices are plugged off. The only things that are connected to the board is the RAM and the VGA monitor (except in the case that I try to do something with the keyboard).

I already up/downgraded to versions 151, 163, 164, 170 and 171 of the BIOS via USB stick.

And to versions 162 and 171 via SATA CDROM drive.

Also I tried to do a CMOS reset via pushing F9 in configuration mode, but it seems that the mainboard isn't recognizing any keyboard presses.

Unplugging the CMOS battery and short circuit the pins also didn't change anything.

What to do??

/e: I managed to get into the BIOS settings just by waiting about 15 minutes while the POST was hanging at message EB.

The initial reason for the freeze was the USB network adapter Delock 62417 USB3 (which was not connected any more!).

It seems, that this device had a curious kind of influence on the USB controller so that the BIOS was freezing although the USB adapter was not connected.

But after this 15 minute bootup everything worked fine again. But unfortunately I don't get the USB network adapter working.

Independent of which USB options are set in the BIOS, the board always freezes at EB if the USB network adapter is connected.

So I'll need to use another one... just ordered the D-Link DUB-E100.

By the way:

The BIOS updates I stated above didn't work at all. I didn't know, that the updates starts after POST. Since the BIOS freezed with EB, it didn't get updated.

Only if I waited those 15 minutes, the emergency update procedure continued.

/e: Same problem with D-Link DUB-E100... Further investigation showed, that without connected USB network adapter the settings "USB optimization" and the one below also lead to the hang at EB post message. A normal startup is only possible with deactivated USB optimizations. Thus it's not possible for me to use USB network adapters at all?!

Miguel_C_Intel1
Employee

Hi Freeze24,

The Intel® Desktop Board DN2800MT has 8 USB 2.0, there are no USB 3.0 ports. Please confirm if the network adapter D-Link DUB-E100 with the USB optimization disable works or not.

In regards the BIOS, let me know the current operating system and how you are performing the BIOS update.

Your desktop has an Integrated LAN port, is there anything wrong with it?

Regards,

Miguel