Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

DP55KG UEFI RAID 0 -> When fresh installing any OS (Win 10/Debian 8.3) No bootable device found

I'm trying to fresh install Windows 10 in my PC.

The BIOS has got configured Fake Raid 0 and UEFI. The installation program (from DVD) it's able to partition the disk (recognizes the RAID) and write in it the installation files. But in the very first restart the PC isn't able to boot. It doesn't find any bootable media (other than the DVD of course).

Tried with Debian 8.3 to see if it was a Windows related problem. The exact same thing, Debian installer is able to partition the disk (again no problem with seeing the RAID) and write files in it, but in the first restart no bootable media is found. So I would rule out a OS related bug.

The other option is my BIOS configuration. So I tried installing with UEFI but without RAID 0, no problem, it boot it nicely. When trying with RAID 0 but without UEFI, no problem either. So it seems that the problem is when both of them (RAID 0 and UEFI) are used togheter.

I took some pictures of some of my BIOS configuration screens, and of the booting process, in case anyone wants to take a look to specific settings, BIOS version, fakeRAID firmware version, and so on. I'm using photobucket, not sure how to link the pics, but let's try:

http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/Magnetar/library/bios Bios by Magnetar | Photobucket

Any help will be MUCH appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Have you tried injecting the Intel Rapid Storage drivers during the Windows 10 installation process?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Nope. I'll take a look in Internet ('cause I don't have a clue) and I'll try to do it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have to add... You do understand that this board is very old (5 board generations and 6 long years of technology changes) and that it is not officially supported by Windows 10, right? You may have compatibility issues that, if nothing else, hinder performance...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

In all fairness to Microsoft, I don't think it's a Windows 10 problem because Linux has exactly the same issue when trying to install it instead of Win. In my opinion Intel is to blame here.

Anyway, just for the sake of updating:

1- At the end I did not try injecting the IRS drivers. I just gave up the RAID part, and I'm keeping the UEFI boot.

2- I did have a previous installation of: RAID 0, MBR boot, Windows 10 (upgraded from Win 7). When I decided to clean the slate and fresh install Win 10 (with RAID 0 and UEFI) I updated the BIOS just before formatting everything. And I think it may be here where things went south, maybe updating the BIOS when it was set up for MBR, and then using it for UEFI was a bad idea. But probably I'm just being paranoid.

Anyway, I desist.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Oh, I am not saying Windows 10 has a problem; I am just saying that, since Intel is not providing Windows 10 drivers for these older boards, you are going to be running on the Windows generic drivers and performance may not be optimal. I would note, however, that there are versions of Intel Rapid Storage Technology for Windows 10 that you can use for more-optimal RAID management (you just won't find it listed on your board's download page).

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, Draenin:

I would like to add, not to create negative reactions but to provide you with more information about what is officially supported by your board, the list of supported OS' for the Intel® Boards and Kits: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005640.html Supported Operating Systems for Boards and Kits

I do support Scott's comments regarding compatibility for legacy boards and newer operating systems. It is limited so far.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for the information Esteban. Not a problem at all.

Peace.

P.s.: According the list you linked, you guys are not even supporting Windows 10 in your current boards!?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, Draenin:

Intel stopped manufacturing motherboards a while ago, for newer processors which would mean newer technology the motherboard to be used would be from a third party vendor.

For that reason, the support for newer software in older systems is limited.

More current products like Intel® Compute Sticks, Intel® NUCs and Intel® processors are indeed been supported by newer software like Windows 10*.

Feel free to contact us back if you require any additional information or support.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Having nearly identical issue - Windows install will not recognize M.2 Raid 0 set

• Gigabyte z170x gaming 7
  • Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVM Express
  • Windows 10 Pro 64bit

1. Windows 8/10 Features set to Windows 8/10
  2. CSM Support Disabled
  3. Raid 0 set created in Intel Rapid Storage Technology
  4. Start Windows 10 Pro installation loading IRST – Intel Chipset SATA Raid Controller (iaStorAC.inf from CD Boot\iRST\f6flpy-x64\iaStorAC.inf)
  5. Raid set not detected
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Brian,

What drives are you attempting to use in this RAID array?

What version of RST are you attempting this with?

Did you try loading the iaAHCIC.inf as well (i.e. load all INF files in f6flpy package)?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Using 2x Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVM Express.

IRST 14.6.0.1029

Not quite sure what you mean by "loading iaAHCIC.inf as well". At the screen in the Win 10 installation process where you select the drive I used the "Have Disk" option and pointed to the f6flpy-X64 folder on MB driver CD. iaStorAC.sys is I believe what loaded. Also tried the 32 bit version just in case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You are configured for UEFI, correct? My understanding is that the support for NVMe redirection is only supported with UEFI (not Legacy)...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Correct,

1. Windows 8/10 Features set to Windows 8/10
  2. Set to UEFI & CSM Support Disabled
  3. SATA set to RAID
  4. Raid 0 set created in Intel Rapid Storage Technology
  5. Start Windows 10 Pro installation loading IRST – Intel Chipset SATA Raid Controller (iaStorAC.inf from CD Boot\iRST\f6flpy-x64\iaStorAC.inf)
  6. Raid set not detected
0 Kudos
Highlighted

My understanding is that, in order to support the use of NVMe drives in RST, the BIOS must support remapping (in the new KY NUC, they added BIOS Setup parameters to configure this support). Are you sure that your board's BIOS has this support?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, Draenin:

I can see that you already have the latest BIOS version in your system.

Can you perform a downgrade to the previous version and test the behavior of your system?

Previous version available: 5926

Download link:https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20062/BIOS-Update-KGIBX10J-86A-?product=40077 Download BIOS Update [KGIBX10J.86A]

Important information: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005969.html BIOS Version Downgrade Instructions for Boards and Kits

Please be aware that downgrading the BIOS has it's risks and failing could affect your board, but as per the scenario it could be related to a BIOS issue, for that reason my recommendation of downgrading.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos