Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

DP55KG

Where I can download the Bios update KGIBX10J.86A.5936.2011.0630.2250, for my DP55KG, I need update my Bios.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I have attached a ZIP file containing the BIO file and Release Notes. I recommend that you use the BIOS Recovery process to install this update.

For information on the BIOS Recovery process, consult Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions.

To help you better, here are my step-by-step instructions for BIOS Recovery:

1. NOTE: Read these instructions completely before starting. Follow all instructions EXACTLY.
  2. On some other Windows-based PC, make sure that you have the .BIO file for the BIOS release you wish to install.
  3. Insert a 32GB or smaller (the smaller the better) USB 2.0 flash drive into the PC. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives (most are not compatible). It is also best if you use a flash drive that has an access LED that you can watch.
  4. Format this USB flash drive using the Windows Format applet. Select to install the FAT32 file system (NOT vFAT, NOT exFAT; FAT32 only). You must also specify that the Quick Format option be Disabled (unchecked).
  5. NOTE: If FAT32 is not offered as a choice by the Format applet, your flash drive is too big; use another.
  6. Copy the .BIO file into the root folder of this USB flash drive. This should be the only .BIO file in the root folder of the USB flash drive.
  7. Properly eject the USB flash drive. Do not just yank it out. Do this from File Explorer or using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media System Tray applet.
  8. Power off the Desktop Board system.
  9. Remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board. It will be the only yellow jumper; the rest will usually be black.
  10. NOTE: Remember the pins that this jumper was plugged onto; you will need this information later.
  11. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Do not use blue or yellow USB 3.0 port. Do not use any front panel USB ports.
  12. Power on the system.
  13. The BIOS Recovery process should start automatically. You should see a progress report on your main monitor.
  14. NOTE: If you do not see a progress report displayed on a monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15 minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete, just in case.
  15. When the BIOS Recovery process is complete, you will be asked to power off the system. Do so.
  16. Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the pins it was on previously. This should be across pins 1 and 2 of this (three pin) header.
  17. Remove the USB flash drive from the back panel of the board.
  18. Power on the board.
  19. Immediately begin pressing the F2 key, over and over (approx. once per second) until you see the BIOS Setup (or Visual BIOS) screen displayed.
  20. Verify, using the BIOS version string, that the BIOS installed properly. Stop if it isn't.
  21. Press the F9 key (followed by the Y key) to reset of the BIOS configuration.
  22. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  23. Once screen is cleared (goes black), begin pressing the F2 key, over and over, until you see the BIOS Setup screen displayed.
  24. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration that you desire (for example, disabling NUMLOCK) or that you require (for example, setting Boot Order, enabling UEFI, etc.).
  25. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.

Test.

...S

Highlighted
Novice

Thank you very much for all your help. You are excellent ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thank you. As vaudevillian Joe Frisco used to say, "No Applause - Just Throw Money!"

Highlighted
Novice

The procedure did not work.
I did all the operations that you indicated, step by step, carefully. I put the .BIO file in the root of a 4.0Gb SanDisk Flash drive formatted as you told me in FAT32. My DP55KG does not have blue ports, they are all black 2.0, I performed all the operations step by step, the screen was always black, I could not see the process, I did it twice and in each one I allowed more than 15 minutes to pass before to shut down the system and reboot everything. But do not change anything in the Bios, it has a very old version, I need to update the Bios to use the PCI slots with SSD adapters, I am trying to boot Windows 10 Pro N that I already install in a Samsung EVO 970 SSD, but it does not start, the Bios It is not able to recognize the SDD for that PCI slot, I have been in this problem for some days. I have studied and the possible solution is the BIOS update. Can you help me with another alternative or procedure? ... Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

First of all, what BIOS release do you currently have on this board?

Second, this may be moot. Let me put this in perspective:

1. The KG board was released in Q3 of 2009.
  2. The last KG BIOS update was released in Q2 of 2011.
  3. The last Desktop Boards - the 8 Series boards - were released in Q2 of 2013.
  4. Intel shuttered their Desktop Boards group in Q4 of 2013. Only basic BIOS maintenance (i.e. security fixes) were done subsequent to that.
  5. The first boards with NVMe support in their BIOS arrived with the 9 Series chipsets in Q2 2014. These boards came from only 3rd-party manufacturers - MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, etc.

Bottom line, no Intel Desktop Board ever had support for NVMe boot. In fact, no BIOS ever had support for the PCIe steering changes necessary for NVMe support. The most sophisticated drives ever fully supported by Intel Desktop Boards were the mSATA SSDs.

Unless your adapter is providing a BIOS extension that supports NVMe boot, then you are out of luck. Frankly, I know of no cards existing that could provide this capability. Maybe I missed one; I don't know.

Reality bites,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I understood everything perfectly. After several days of work I managed to update the BIOS, too easy, just using the F7 key after boot, incredible, I did not even remove the yellow ping. It is excellently updated, but another problem arose. I know that it is almost impossible to boot from the SSD, but now it is so slow that it is almost impossible to reinstall Windows 10 on the Digital HD I had, I have tried on two different HD, and it does not work, I have 32Gb of RAM memory and an 8-core processor, it's incredible how spends hours trying to install windows and can't do it, I can't understand what happens now, I've made so many attempts and settings in the BIOS that I don't know what else to do. When I was using the old version of the Bios, it installed Windows 10 in about 15 minutes; Any solution.....?. 

Thank you a lot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Have you looked at using a SATA-based SSD? Those can be used with this board just fine.

A shortcoming of the SATA controllers in the 5 Series chipsets is that they only support SATA II (3Gb/s). To overcome this, what I did with my 5 Series board was add this card to it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01452SP1O. This card provides a 2-port SATA III (6Gb/s) host controller with boot ROM support. It hosts the system SSD (you attach it right to the card) and makes the second port available to support higher bandwidth access to a secondary data SSD or HDD. This will add a lot of pep to the system.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I have one that is far superior to that card, I bought it a week ago at Micro Center, it doesn't work for startup, it's the one I've been using since the beginning. And I'm using the Bios update that you sent me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Well, obviously it isn't superior if it doesn't work. Send me info on this card.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Now that is not so important, I do not even want to put the SSD Card, before trying this PC was very fast, after updating to the Bios that you sent me I have never been able to see or install Windows again, it is incredible, I have tried of all kinds of configuration in the Bios and it does not work, it is very slow, like hibernating, it does not accelerate, it does not use the resources it has. It spends more than 14 hours trying to install Windows, and it doesn't, it puts a blue screen and says that the PC has an error. Before, I installed Windows 10 in less than 15 minutes. Can you send me other older .Bio files to try to get this MBoard back? KG5921P and KG5936P do not work for this PC. I need an older one. Intel DP55KG Board Version: AAE47218-403

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Card Specifications

Model:  PCIE-M20802HS

Interface: PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA III

Number of Drives: 2

M.2 SSD Key: NVMe or AHCI (M Key), SATA III (B Key)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yea, that card is not going to work. Your motherboard is PCIe 2.0 and you are attempting to use a card that required PCIe 3.0. There is no back-rev. support.

My KG was running the latest available driver and supported no ill effects (and certainly not any slowdown). What you are describing sounds like the processor is being throttled. If this PCIe card is installed, I wonder if the incompatibilities are disaffecting the operation of the processor.

Sorry, I only have the latest BIOS release in my archive. Maybe @AlHill can fire up the WayBack machine and find you an older BIOS to try. Remember that the BIOS Recovery process is absolutely required for downgrading the BIOS.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

That PCIe card has been uninstalled for several days, can you tell me the recovery process for the BIOS? It can still be done even though I have installed that latest version several times? ... can you explain?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You can downgrade the BIOS while no architectural changes have occurred and the BIOS' ME firmware remains the same. You cannot downgrade across a BIOS release that changes the BIOS' architecture. You also cannot downgrade across a BIOS release that introduces a new version of the ME firmware (i.e. downgrading the ME firmware is not allowed). I looked at the release notes. They are telling me that:

• If your board's AA# is E47218-406 or later, you can only downgrade as far as BIOS 5924.
  • if your board's AA# is earlier than E47218-406, you can downgrade as far as BIOS 4507.

Provided @AlHill  is successful using the WayBack machine to extract the .BIO files for some earlier BIOS releases, you can use the BIOS Recovery process to do the downgrade. I recommend doing the minimum downgrade you can get away with.

Before anything else, since you use the F7 method to upgrade, I suggest that you try doing a BIOS Recovery to reinstall the latest BIOS. This may fix the issue you are seeing.

For information on the BIOS Recovery process, consult Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions.

To help you better, here are my step-by-step instructions for BIOS Recovery:

1. NOTE: Read these instructions completely before starting. Follow all instructions EXACTLY.
  2. On some other Windows-based PC, make sure that you have the .BIO file for the BIOS release you wish to install.
  3. Insert a 32GB or smaller (the smaller the better) USB 2.0 flash drive into the PC. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives (most are not compatible). It is also best if you use a flash drive that has an access LED that you can watch.
  4. Format this USB flash drive using the Windows Format applet. Select to install the FAT32 file system (NOT vFAT, NOT exFAT; FAT32 only). You must also specify that the Quick Format option be Disabled (unchecked).
  5. NOTE: If FAT32 is not offered as a choice by the Format applet, your flash drive is too big; use another.
  6. Copy the .BIO file into the root folder of this USB flash drive. This should be the only .BIO file in the root folder of the USB flash drive.
  7. Properly eject the USB flash drive. Do not just yank it out. Do this from File Explorer or using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media System Tray applet.
  8. Power off the Desktop Board system.
  9. Remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board. It will be the only yellow jumper; the rest will usually be black.
  10. NOTE: Remember the pins that this jumper was plugged onto; you will need this information later.
  11. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Do not use blue or yellow USB 3.0 port. Do not use any front panel USB ports.
  12. Power on the system.
  13. The BIOS Recovery process should start automatically. You should see a progress report on your main monitor.
  14. NOTE: If you do not see a progress report displayed on a monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15 minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete, just in case.
  15. When the BIOS Recovery process is complete, you will be asked to power off the system. Do so.
  16. Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the pins it was on previously. This should be across pins 1 and 2 of this (three pin) header.
  17. Remove the USB flash drive from the back panel of the board.
  18. Power on the board.
  19. Immediately begin pressing the F2 key, over and over (approx. once per second) until you see the BIOS Setup (or Visual BIOS) screen displayed.
  20. Verify, using the BIOS version string, that the BIOS installed properly. Stop if it isn't.
  21. Press the F9 key (followed by the Y key) to reset of the BIOS configuration.
  22. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  23. Once screen is cleared (goes black), begin pressing the F2 key, over and over, until you see the BIOS Setup screen displayed.
  24. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration that you desire (for example, disabling NUMLOCK) or that you require (for example, setting Boot Order, enabling UEFI, etc.).
  25. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  26. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos