DP55WG - R9 285 video card problem - Bios won't POST

Jump to solution

Hi!

My PC :

DP55WG

I7 870

2x2 gig 1333 DDR3

Gigabyte AMD R9 285 2 GB

The PC works well with my old GTS 450. The R9 285 works well in my AMD PC (Phenom 2 X4 955).

BUT :

I can't pass the post of the BIOS with the R9 in the DP55WG. The post code message is (Eb (or E6?))

I've tried many things that I found in this community :

- Bios of the mainboard is up to date

- BIos of the R9 is up to date

- Tried different mem sticks

- Didn't forget the power (2x) of the card

- Tried to add the auxiliairy power at the botom of the card (SATA style connector)

- Tried many clear CMOS bios..

It's kind of frustrating because I tried many things and I have to unslot the card each time I have to flash the bios or things like that...

Any Idea?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The board is old enough that there are compatibility issues with the latest generation graphics cards. These cards have expectations of the board and BIOS that are beyond their capabilities. Some people, with certain cards, have been able to get around some of these expectations by enabling UEFI within BIOS Setup. Unfortunately, you will need to use an older graphics card in order to get into BIOS Setup and make this configuration change...

...Scott

View solution in original post

3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The board is old enough that there are compatibility issues with the latest generation graphics cards. These cards have expectations of the board and BIOS that are beyond their capabilities. Some people, with certain cards, have been able to get around some of these expectations by enabling UEFI within BIOS Setup. Unfortunately, you will need to use an older graphics card in order to get into BIOS Setup and make this configuration change...

...Scott

View solution in original post

CTurc1
Beginner

Hi Scott

Thanks for the comment. Really appreciated!

Unfortunately, the UEFI boot option was already at on... If i'm doing it right!

It's weird... For the compatibility issues : my old mainboard is a cheap asus board with a cheap chipset and it is working well... I'm really surprised that an Intel board, that is expensive, not works with my video card!

I don't know what I'll do with this!

Thanks again!

Yaaa4

IUman
Honored Contributor II

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you have, to me this seems like a compatibility issue with the motherboard and card, unfortunately Intel will not develop new BIOS versions to fix problems with third party components using this motherboard but some people fix this problem following some troubleshooting steps here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1664109/black-screen-installing-graphics-card-bit-noob.html http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1664109/black-screen-installing-graphics-card-bit-noob.html