cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cejkiebo
Beginner

DP67BG SATA issues

Jump to solution

I've been running a DP67BG board for years with intermittent issues where almost the entire system hangs because it's waiting for a hard drive (connected to a SATA-600 port) to spin up. This behaviour wasn't a specific hindrance for me. However, it became a lot more problematic when I added a hard drive to my system on a SATA-300 port which caused a lot more hangs. Eventually the issues worsened to the point where the iRST driver notifies me that the disk has been removed, after which it even becomes invisible to the UEFI setup utility (and only becomes visible again after turning off the power supply long enough to empty the capacitors or whatever magic it does). My system also sits for quite a while on code 5A (SATA related) before POSTing. In fact, the SATA controller has even started to drop my DVD drive which it has never done during the four years in which I owned this board.

My chipset is the rather notorious B2 stepping. Is this a symptom of the SATA performance degradation on the SATA-300 ports or are there other gremlins at work here? I've changed the hard drive to a brand new one and I've also bought a brand new SATA cable. The new SATA cable merely appears to lengthen the time before iRST notifies me that the drive has been dropped.

I'm on Windows 10 20H2 x64, a Core i5-3450 and BIOS version 2209 along with 24GB of RAM. My SATA devices are a Samsung SH-222AB (DVD drive), Samsung HD103SJ (on the SATA-600 port), Crucial M500 120GB (also on SATA-600 port) and a Toshiba DT01ACA300.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Those are definitely the symptoms of the B2 errata. The SATA-600 ports are a third-party chip so don't have the issues that the chipset ports could have, so stick with them for your main drives. As for the spin-down/spin-up issue, software that is regularly polling the health of the drives will prevent the drives from spinning down. You could load Intel Desktop Utilities, for example, and then your drives will not spin down at all (this was an outstanding issue with this application back then).

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Those are definitely the symptoms of the B2 errata. The SATA-600 ports are a third-party chip so don't have the issues that the chipset ports could have, so stick with them for your main drives. As for the spin-down/spin-up issue, software that is regularly polling the health of the drives will prevent the drives from spinning down. You could load Intel Desktop Utilities, for example, and then your drives will not spin down at all (this was an outstanding issue with this application back then).

...S

View solution in original post

cejkiebo
Beginner

Well that's a pity for an otherwise wonderful motherboard. I wasn't sure whether 'SATA performance degradation' meant something like the controller only doing SATA-150 speeds, but this is a lot more problematic. I guess the time for replacing this board is nearing then. Thanks for your help!