Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

DP67BG UEFI enabled and installing Windows to RAID drive

I'm having a problem getting Windows installed on a RAID 0 drive (Vertex 3 + Vertex 3 Max Iops) when UEFI Boot is enabled. The drive shows up during the installation. The setup tells me it cannot be installed onto the drive, but allows me to press next anyway. The drive is entirely cleaned so it shouldn't have MBR nor GPT. Previously (in AHCI mode) Windows setup automatically created GPT to the single drive. It seems like the installation goes okay, but the system cannot boot from it. Has anyone managed to get RAID working with UEFI Boot option?

The drives are connected to Intel SATA3 interface and use the mobos own raid controller that's in the chipset.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Configuring RAID while UEFI is enabled should not be a problem.

You can try Deleting the RAID volume and creating it again (that will guarantee that no partition information is left on the drives). Also, you can try installing the operating system on a single drive, and then migrating to a RAID volume. (RAID must be enabled in the BIOS prior to the OS installation).

Highlighted
Community Manager

Actually this happens even on single drive volumes that are only controller by the RAID bios. So RAID mode + UEFI Boot enabled = Cannot install Windows in UEFI mode (GPT). I'm using the latest 2040 UEFI on the board. I also tried loading RAID drivers during the setup but that didn't make any difference. What am I doing wrong? Windows setup tells me "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." This basically means that I cannot even migrate to RAID from single volume.

UEFI Boot works in AHCI mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

What happens if you install Windows with RAID Enabled + UEFI Disabled, and then enabled after loading the OS?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

It tells me no bootable drive was found.

I did further testing. I now have a RAID0 drive with Windows installed in RAID on+UEFI Boot off. Windows setup made this drive MBR.

I also have a single drive with installed Windows under AHCI mode + UEFI Boot on. This drive is GPT.

Now with RAID mode on and UEFI on NEITHER drive will boot. If the RAID mode is on the system is entirely unbootable as the UEFI cannot find any drives to boot from in UEFI mode.

With UEFI Boot on and AHCI mode the system will boot from the single drive that Windows was insalled in UEFI mode.

With UEFI Boot off and RAID mode the system will boot from the RAID drive that has MBR.

So the problem ultimately lies in the current UEFI version available (2040). For some reason there just no way to boot from UEFI if the RAID mode is on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you for your information, Syvere. At this point, we'd like to take a look into the issue even further.

Could you contact our support department, so that we can create a Service Ticket for you?

The options for contact are:

Phone: 916-377-7000

Chat: http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm?group=desktop http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm?group=desktop

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Were you ever able to get this to work with a 3TB HDD on the SATA III header with RAID and UEFI enabled? My boot drive just died and I ordered a 3TB drive before I remembered there were limitations with MBR. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Indeed, various customers have been able to configure 2TB+ RAID volumes, and make them bootable with UEFI enabled. There shouldn't be any problems in the process.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I have the same issue except on a DX79SI. I have two 1.5TB drives connected to the black 6Gb SATA ports. When I enable RAID and UEFI, Windows 7 x64 will install (with a warning that BIOS may not boot this drive) but I am unable to configure BIOS in such a way to make it boot the RAID volume. I can install to one of the drives in AHCI mode, however.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I couldn't find any other information regarding this issue.

thanks

-karl

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Problem resolved in RAID mode ( which support AHCI with more stability compare to AHCI Mode Only ) with BIOS Version 2185 on DP67BG and on Windows 7 SP1 only (error message still appear on Windows 7 RTM/Gold).

*not important to indicate that only work in 64-bit version because we are in UEFI.

Highlighted
Community Manager

I have the same challenge, on a DP55SB running 5936 BIOS. I was able to get UEFI/RAID working with an older BIOS, however can't use that older BIOS version as it doesn't support 3TB drives. The latest BIOS supports 3TB drives but doesn't support UEFI with RAID (works fine with AHCI, but then I can't use my drive array). RAID works fine without UEFI too. This is with both Windows 7 Ultimate and with Windows 8 Release Preview, using the latest RST F6 drivers. What should I do?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Was this issue ever resolved?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Did you notice that you are asking about a conversation from 2012?
0 Kudos